Sunday, November 6, 2011

No Power & No Fuel


November 1st Tuesday

Power outages are very common here. We are thankful for the electric lights when we have them available. Last night the power went off around 5 in the evening and remained off for the next 17 hours. Candles become the source of light many times during the week.

The birds singing are always the first sign of another day. They usher in the day with many different songs all blending together. The day’s plans were changed before the day had time to start. An early morning call from Beverly was to cancel a trip outside of town to teach. They had tried to find fuel in town but everyone was out. So the morning started with no power and no fuel.

The day’s activities can be shortened for many reasons. Right now we are going through a season of much rain. The rains should have ended by now but they continue. The mornings usually bring us the hot sun of Africa but around two in the afternoon the sky above will be dark with clouds. The winds will usher in the cool air and then the down pour of steady of rain. Many nights while sleeping you will hear the rains continue until dawn.

November 2nd Wednesday

The annual Agricultural Show started this week here at the show grounds. Bus loads of students arrived from various schools. It is a week of teaching and learning which seed is best for planting in the different types of soil. Music always becomes a very important part of such a gathering. The Vice President of Kenya will also be attending this event so there will be many attending. The roads are crowded with people walking and there are extra bikes, buses and motorcycles sharing the roads with the goats, cows and sheep. It is a time for some to make a little more money transporting people back and forth. One motorcycle that caught my eye was traveling with four grown men on it.

November 3 Thursday

This morning I joined a Bible class of women held at Beverly's house. They are finishing up a course on Self Confrontation. It is basically examining how you handle daily issues that each of us are hit with. Are we handling them in a Biblical way?

It was a beautiful morning and as I walked to her house I enjoyed watching the new born goats graze beside the road. They brought a smile to my face as I watched them jump here and there with such a care free heart. I was almost there and looked at my watch and was pleased to see that I was not going to be late. However, I then took the wrong turn. I took the road before her road. I got to the end and heard a little voice say "mazungu.” (white woman)

I started to turn and walk back to the road because I wanted to be on time. But then I said, no I 'm going back to the house where the kids are. I thought it was a familiar area and I was right. They welcomed me into the gate and I asked if Ian was there. He was there and someone went to find him. Ian was the little boy we rescued from Kipsongo slums last year. He wasn’t being cared for and his mom didn't want him anymore.

I was invited in and had a short visit. Ian has a beautiful smile and yes he remembered me! I happened to have enough sweets in my back pack for all ten children there. We had prayer together and then I told them that I had to leave because I was expected at a Bible study but would return another time. One little girl asked me if I could bring some clothes back. They are all in need of more clothes. So tomorrow I will go to the market and buy a bag of children’s clothes for them.

Right now it is easy for me to visit the children but at the end of the month they will be moving outside of this area. So God was leading my footsteps this morning even though I thought I made a mistake and had taken the wrong road. I did not. It was God's plan. I arrived at the Bible study twenty minutes late. In Africa that is normal but we try to make an example that time and schedules are important. As I sat down and greeted the women someone said, “Linda you are absolutely glowing this morning.” They didn't know that I had just experienced a God appointment. They are the best kind!


November 4, Friday

The morning sun was hot and as I continued walking toward the market I could feel the sun burning into me. I stopped to visit Gladys at her hair shop and to give myself time to cool down. She loves the Lord so much it is a joy to spend time with her. Gladys ended up walking the rest of the way with me. She understands that the prices will go up when they see me walking alone.

Shopping at an open air market can be challenging and stressful. Prices always start high and it is up to you to bargain them down. There will be mounds of clothes with someone standing on the top trying to get your attention before someone else does. It is an area to buy beans, corn, rice, tomatoes, clothes, shoes, pots, pans or whatever you might need but the price is always changing.

The path is small and people are bumping into you as they come and go. Puddles from the rains the night before make the path slippery. Then being white I am automatically thought of as having lots of money on me. So particularly in this area I need to be very alert. The market area is not known to be one of the better areas of town. So I had to watch out for myself and my belongings. It took sometime but we finally were given a fair price and ended up with a big bag of clothes. They will have some new tops and each child will have a warm jacket to wear.

I started to walk back because it looked like rain was moving in.I always carry an umbrella and raincoat in my back pack and it is a good thing. I had a 25 min walk in the rain today. The roads are so slippery. I walked very carefully but still slipped three times. I caught myself each time so I didn't go all the way down but I had mud all over my skirt and legs. One can only smile and thank God for the opportunity to serve Him another day!

Twin girls play with the curlers in Gladys' hair shop.

November 5, Saturday

Today was set aside for the Grand Opening of an orphanage outside of town. Seeds Children Home cares for 42 orphans. Tents were set up outside the building so that the sun would not be too much on anyone. There were several cakes made so that everyone could enjoy. There were ribbons to cut in the doorway. The windows were decorated with hanging balloons. There were young trees set aside to be planted by the honored guests.

The day started the African way, somewhat on the late side of things. When they were ready though, there was singing, there was dancing, there were skits and plenty of speeches. There were gifts. Some ladies danced and sang as they brought in their gift of a sheep decorated in colorful cloth and tinsel. Another brought a rooster as a gift.

It was a very full day and even though the rains came in the afternoon the speeches continued. Here rain is a sign of God’s blessing upon them. They rejoiced even more as the rains came down upon them. The day ended with food for everyone and there was plenty!


November 6, Sunday

This morning I went to the tent church. Knowing how hot it can get inside I positioned myself on the railroad side of the tent. It has a big flap in the middle that they leave open and the breeze is welcomed. It was a great service with a lot of special worship music. I could feel the little girl behind me touch my hair now and then. She got brave at one point and touched my hand. Eventually she warmed up to me and sat in my lap.

As the service continued I had full view of the outside. There were street kids walking the railroad tracks with their big burlap bags thrown over their shoulders. Right outside of the door there was a garbage pile of fresh waste products. Approximately twelve people pawed through the rubbish. A fire was started on the outskirts of the garbage to warm up their food pieces before eating. Glue bottles become a necessary part of life to those caught in such pain and suffering.

We are all seated and quiet when an unwelcomed visitor comes into the church through the open flap….a rat! The boys in front of me saw it also and started to giggle. I’m waiting for the scream as it heads right into the midst of the church. I think the boys were too! There was a little stirring in one area but everyone kept calm.


Proverbs 16: 9

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.


No comments: