Monday, October 31, 2011

Buckets of Rain


Much rain has fallen this week. Buckets upon buckets of rain have poured down on the red clay like roads of Kitale. It has made traveling into the mountain inadvisable. Please pray for peace in Kenya, the fighting continues on the Kenya – Somalia border. Waking early on Monday, October 2011, we learned of one grenade going off in Nairobi. Before the day was over another went off at a bus stop in Nairobi killing one person. This comes after the U S Embassy had sent out four emergency notices to U S Citizens in Kenya that it had received credible information of an imminent threat of terrorist attacks. There is much evidence of increased security in the Nairobi area now. One shopper mentions her car being searched and then her pocket book before she goes into a Nairobi store.

Being an eight hour bus ride away from Nairobi brings a totally different atmosphere. The country land here is peaceful. Crops are being harvested and maize is being sun dried on large canvas sheets.

October 25th, Tuesday I walked through the busy markets of Kitale. The market area had puddles throughout the walk area because of the heavy rains the day before but it didn’t stop anyone. It was a busy place. I found my way to Gladys’ place. She was hidden away in behind the road front shops. The door to her hair shop was open and I was pleased to see from a far that she was there. I never spoke a word but pulled back the lace cloth that hung in the doorway. Gladys was sitting there by herself waiting for customers. She was quietly reading her Bible when she looked up and saw me standing there. A laugh of joy and delight filled the small quiet room. Gladys is a pastor’s wife. She is also a great interpreter and has traveled with us to many of the women’s meeting. It was so good to see that she was still strong in her faith and healthy. She confirmed like so many that I have talked with that the past year has been very difficult because of the food prices being so high.

I stopped at another place where a man was selling handmade items. To my surprise I was greeted by name!

October 27th Thursday I started out walking toward town and then ended up on the back of a motorcycle for the rest of the way. Beverly & Sylvia picked me up in town and we traveled about 45 minutes on the road that would eventually take you to Lodwar. We stopped in a little village called Makutano which is near Kapenguria. We would be meeting with about 17 students who are taking a course in Old Testament Survey. Today we would be studying Hosea and Joel. Because of your giving we were able to once again bless those in need with reading glasses.

We want to thank Bud & Mary Post for the many reading glasses that they have donated. We also appreciate the Newington Town Church and Milton A/G for collecting eye glasses. These glasses have blessed many. Some of the tribes that have been blessed with glasses are the; Maasai, Pokot, Turkana, Luo, Luhya, Kikuyu, Kisii, and Ndorobo. Thank you.

October 28th Friday we traveled back to the orphanage which cares for over 30 children from Kipsongo slums. They are very happy children full of energy and excited to see us. Today they were given green, black, red, and white beads to string and make a necklace. These are the colors of the Kenyan flag. Quietness took over the room as they focused on stringing these tiny, tiny beads. As we started home and traveled out to the main road we passed the prison. Today there were many prisoners outside. They were working hard at tilling the ground in their black and white striped prison clothes. Guards surrounded them as they worked.

Saturday October 29th many of the missionaries in the surrounding areas came together for fellowship. It was great to see old friends and make new ones as well. In the process I learned that two good size snakes had been killed at Greg & Beverly’s. One snake was a green mamba, a very poisonous snake. This area is quite built up so I was somewhat surprised that snakes had been seen here. I understand now that when you are near corn fields or gardens you are more apt to see them!

Sunday October 30th, I had been invited to speak at a church that was started in February 2010. Cornerstone Christian Fellowship is just a short ride out town. It sits in an open grassy field overlooking corn fields. The church was full of people of all ages. There were many children including one little girl that tried to pretend I wasn’t there. She was about 2 or 3 years old and walked around freely. She went up front with those leading the singing and faced everyone. She was not afraid to stand in front of everyone until she looked my way. When she looked at me she would cover her face with both hands! While speaking I noticed a woman with a very surprised look on her face. She was in awe at what I was saying. At the end of the service the pastor’s comments helped me understand this woman’s reaction. It seems that what I spoke on fell in line with their early morning Bible study. The pastor said it was like you were there with us but you were not! God is so faithful. He knows exactly what we need. I love to see how He works.


We thank you for praying for the little 10 year old boy with meningitis. He has been discharged from the hospital and has gone back to school :)


Psalm 28:7

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

Ephesians 6:10

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.



No comments: