Monday, October 3, 2011

Still "Daddy's Little Girl"


Monday, September 26, 2011

After hugs and more hugs, a few tears and a reminder that I am still “Daddy’s little girl” I left the comfort and safety of ho
me. It would be a long journey one that would take me almost 8,000 miles away, one that would deliver me to Africa for the 5th time.

My suitcases were full of love. They had beanie babies, ties, dresses, dolls, pencils, crayons, Bibles, pocket size New Testaments, reading books, jump ropes, soap, band aids, slipper socks, afghans, baby blankets, handmade bible covers, reading glasses, teaching material and more. So many have given and in such big ways. Your love has been felt by me and soon those you have never met will feel your love as well. As I was filling my suitcase I noticed a little brown fur ball nestled inside. I think my puppy was hoping to tag along too! `

I had one quick stop over London which found me “fast walking” and praying all the way to the next gate. The weather in London did not permit us to land on time so it was a contest against the clock. I did make it to the gate before it closed with 5 minutes or less to spare.

From London to Nairobi I sat beside the Foreign Affairs Minister of Kenya, David K. Musyoka. He was returning from a UN meeting. One topic for discussion was on Palestine & Israel. If I have any problems while in Kenya I am to call him. Missionaries are special to his heart because he is the product of a missionary. Years ago a missionary from Ireland came to Kenya and put him through school. He now travels the world. He has been in 9 different countries this year alone. I was also flying with the Prime Minister of Kenya, Raila Odinga. He was returning from a Mini-Summit on the humanitarian response to the Horn of Africa, convened by the UN. I wanted a window seat but God had other plans.

My plane was about 30 minutes late landing in Nairobi but my taxi man was still here waiting for me :)
All my luggage arrived :) I walked through customs so that was a great blessing and a time saver. Outside I saw a taxi man with a sign in his hand that said
"Linda Gove" - perfect!!!

I arrived safe and sound at the missionary compound Tuesday evening around 11 pm. The guard at the gate passed me my key with a hand written note attached to it which said "Welcome back home Linda."

Wednesday, Sept 28th Morning came too soon but it was great to see everyone once again. There were many welcomes, there were hugs and also an observation that I had eaten well while I had been away.

One worker came to my window and in a quiet voice he asked, “Did you remember the Bible?” When I left last year he had asked me for a special study Bible. I’m sure glad I could say “yes.” He was so very happy. He is a Bible teacher at his church and every night after work he goes out and evangelizes. Last year they had 100 in their church now they have 425 members. I asked him if he thought I would remember. He said he didn't know because it had been a long time. Before he asked me he had asked two other missionaries and when they returned they both told him that they had forgotten. He has waited so very long for his study Bible.

Thursday, Sept 29th It has been a day of having Africa sink one more layer deeper into my skin. I had forgotten about eating out with armed guards carrying AK47s standing at the door way. I had forgotten about going to the ATM machine and having two guards with guns stand there beside you. The organized travel at home seems so unreal now. Speed, chaos, bumper to bumper at times, no order, switching lanes without a care in the world, people running across the road in front of you, cows and goats are next! Oh yes it is all coming back to me. The area where I stay is a haven for birds and they start singing at 4:30 every morning. That is after the dogs that barked all night go to sleep. The call to prayer rings throughout the area for all to hear. Matatu drivers add the sound of “beep, beep” from early morn to night. The smells of garbage and brush burning fill the air. Time, schedules, and appointments mean nothing it all seems to work out just fine when you are on African time.

It was a day of connecting once again with friends I have not seen for some time. Pastor Joseph & Gladys, who work with the street boys, found their way to the compound after a three hour Nairobi traffic jam. They both share about the hard year they have had but God has always provided them with food. Food prices have doubled! It was hard before and now it is impossible for many.

Sunday, Oct 2nd I put my new white walking sneakers on and got ready for church. Today was my first day back in the slums. My body has finally caught up with Kenyan time and I’m excited to have some energy. Have you ever seen white sneakers after walking through the slums during the season of short rains? It rains everyday for a short amount of time but last night it rained so hard I thought for sure I would not be going into the slums today. The African sun did not disappoint us though; it was shining bright and with intensity as we walked through the slums. We stayed away from the small paths as much as possibly. It would be slippery and the low lands would hold the water. People filled the walk ways, garbage was piled in places I’d never seen it before. Children were pawing through the garbage looking for food right along with the goats. Carts and small vendors lined the streets selling their goods. Children call out to me as I walk by “Mazungu, how are you?” Oh they wear the biggest smile when you turn and respond to them. They so want to be noticed.

As we walk we meet some that have remembered the “white woman of Kawangware.” We soon arrive at the church and I view the many changes that time has made. More units for people to live in have been built around the church. There are many. The children are sitting on their benches outside as they study their lesson. They are happy to show me how much they have learned. They are great students and have memorized so many scripture verses. Their class ended with a very special treat, crayons, a paper to color, and a piece of candy!

After speaking at the morning service we concluded with giving the children some colorful slipper socks made by my mom, Charlotte Towne. She was prayed for, blessed and thanked over and over again. They also received a pair of plastic shoes. One little girl was dancing up front and she would lift her leg every once in a while and just look at her shoes. She left for home but soon returned. She looked at me and in a sweet little voice she said “My mom says thank you.” They so appreciate their gifts. The men also wear their new ties with great pride. It is such a big deal to have a tie to wear to church here. Many thanks everyone for bringing smiles to those that go without so very often.

Then it was my turn to receive. They had prepared a very special meal for me. They wanted to make sure that I did not leave hungry and I didn’t. My plate was full of rice, potatoes, cabbage, and chicken. It was a meal of honor. You don’t have chicken unless it is a very special occasion!

Psalm 143:10 Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.

No comments: