Monday, October 24, 2011

Sitting On The Roof Tops


October 18th, Tuesday was my last day in Nairobi before heading to western Kenya.
The day was spent with Pastor Joseph and his wife, Gladys. They had moved to another location since I was here last. I had no idea that when I jumped onto a bus, then a matatu and then another mini bus that it would end up being a two hour journey. "Not far" has a totally different meaning here in Africa. We traveled into areas I had never been before. We left Nairobi behind and traveled on Thika Road, one of the newer roads recently build by the Chinese. We passed Kenya’s largest sports stadium. Moi Int’l Sports Center was built in 1987 and seats 60,000 people. We continued traveling into some smaller villages. We were in the Kasarani Santon area. We reached a small but busy village where many from Somalia had come to live.

I had come to visit however speakers were set up on the corner where many would pass by at the end of the day. I politely declined the invitation to speak as I did not come prepared. Time was marching on and the sun was setting. I needed to make sure I was on the other side of Nairobi before darkness took over. I didn’t come to speak. It wasn’t the plan for the day. I was tired and had a long trip ahead of me the next day. I didn’t even have my Bible with me.

Setting all excuses aside I found myself standing on the corner with a microphone in my hand. As the music stopped my voice took over and went out into the openness around me. People came to a stand still others continued on their way. Women hanging their laundry on the roof tops sat on the edges to listen. Those at the market stands all looked my way. They kept their distance but they were listening to what I had to say.

As we stood and waited for the right matatu to come along the dust from the road start to make me cough. Pastor Joseph informed me that I didn’t need to worry. The dust here was clean dust. It wasn’t like the dust of Nairobi which is dirty because of over population and poor drainage systems.

October 19th, Wednesday my taxi arrived at 6:30 am. We traveled to the other side of Nairobi to the bus station. Today I would leave the busy and chaotic streets of Nairobi and head west. The bad air quality from the fumes of leaded fuel that fill the air would not be missed. Soon the busy city was behind us and the green vegetation took over the landscape. The views of the Great Rift Valley with the extinct volcanoes lining the background were spectacular. There were donkeys pulling carts with the whip of their master telling them how fast to run. Herds of cattle walked beside the roadway. One cow even made the bus come to a standstill as it slowly crossed the road. Buckets of freshly dug potatoes, carrots, cabbage, tomatoes and onions line the roadway. The bus makes an unexpected stop for some of the mamas to take advantage of the fresh produce. The zebras look so peaceful as they graze beside the road. In a golden grass land a serval is seen as it leaps in a playful manner. Police checks are common in Kenya and we had our share along the way but we were always permitted to travel through.

We pass over the equator near Nanyuki. It is said that because of the Coriolis effect that when toilets are flushed in the northern hemisphere they will spin to the right, in the southern hemisphere the water spins to the left. When you are on the equator it is a straight shot down.

The bus rolled into Kitale around 5 pm. It was time to settle in at the lodge and wait for the sun to rise over the Cherengani Hills in the morning.

Thursday the 20th I traveled out to a piece of land that I viewed last time I was here. It was very fertile land and had a good size chicken farm on it. There were also large termite hills that were being used for making bricks. This year the evidence of hard and faithful work amazed me.

Seeds Children Home, an orphanage, is built and already houses over 30 orphans. The grounds have been worked and the many acres of corn have produced a great crop. Two cows have given birth and soon there will be an abundance of milk. The children touched my hair then braided my hair and were amazed that veins could be seen under my skin.

Picked and husked corn is drying in the barn enclosed with wire fencing

October 21st Friday was another busy day. In the morning we went into Kipsongo slums which in English it means “The Place of the Dogs.” Within this area of severe poverty is a school that teaches over 200 children from Kipsongo.

They have the lower grades open and plan for expansion in the future. They also give each child lunch. For some it is the only meal they will have. It is amazing how happy the children are to receive a pencil. We send a special thank you to the children of Safe Haven in Somersworth, NH that made this gift along with others possible. You continue to bless the school children of Africa.

We put a few more miles on our vehicle and end up at Jeff & Carla’s. It was a nice ride with the Cherengani Hills in front of us. Jeff and Carla have taken in little ones that have been thrown away, left in the middle of a corn patch, dumped in the latrine, abused and left for dead. Their hearts are big and continue to welcome more. Instep Baby House now has over 100 little ones that they school and give care to.

Sunday the 23rd of October was a day to worship the Lord inside a big tent set up beside the railroad tracks in Kitale. Before I even made it to the entrance of the tent I was welcomed by smiles and many little hands reaching my way. I had been remembered as I had spent time at their orphanage and school during the week.

The church quickly filled with many from different areas. Selena from Kipsongo slums remembered that last year I had been given a necklace that she made. It was here gift to God as she had nothing else to give. Theresa who tried to bless me with a rooster last year was also there. There were so many friends to greet once again. The clear blue sky gave way to the heat of the sun very early in the day. The temperature within the tent went higher and higher but so did the praises of the people within.

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching. (NLT)

No comments: