Saturday, November 26, 2011

Take Me Home With You

November 21, Monday, we went to visit a newborn baby girl named “Selena.” Elvis and Stella are very happy parents and we are very pleased that both Mom and baby are doing fine. Selena was born on Sunday afternoon and has already brought much joy into the lives of Elvis’ family. Being the only girl she will be cared for and protected by her many uncles.

Elvis and Stella had lost a little girl on my last trip here. It is good to see smiles upon their faces and rejoicing in their hearts.

The hospital was packed and there were people sleeping outside on the ground as they waited. There were noticeably long lines here and there as we found our way to the maternity ward. The maternity ward followed suit. It was packed. There were about eight single beds in a section with two mamas and their newborn babies sharing a bed. They didn’t have any sheets or blankets unless a family member supplied one for them. The room was open without any pull curtains for privacy. If a mama was to have any care a family member had to volunteer to sit with her through this time. The father is only allowed in when visiting hours are open. I doubt that there is much sleep or even a time to rest with so many newborns in one room.

November 23, Wednesday, we started a five day women’s conference at the tent in Kitale. After speaking I walked up back for a while to be near the door. I walked back and forth in the back as they went into a time of praise and worship. The music was at the level where they like it, which is loud. Above the music I thought I could hear screaming. I looked outside into the area where the street children and adults have a little community of their own. They go through the garbage here, sleep in it, eat from it and start fires in it to warm them. It is known as their territory.

The screaming continued and my eyes fell upon a young child on the ground all curled up in a ball with his arms protecting his head. A tall woman with a handmade whip in her hand was standing over him. It appeared to be made out of an old tire. There were on lookers with smiles on their faces being entertained by this boy’s pain. She disappeared to the other side when she saw me.

We had the boy come closer to the tent and we sat with him for a while until he stopped sobbing. Once he could talk he told us he was ok and that the woman was not his mother but a neighbor. A young friend of his came over and joined him. I thought it was a he but he turned out to be “Sara.” Both were hungry so they enjoyed some food and a soda for awhile before going their way. Alex and Sara were both dirty, hungry, and it was apparent that they lived in filth but they still remembered to say, thank you.I figured I would see them in a couple days. Street children know who will feed them and they watch for you to come into town. They surprised me though. An hour or so later they found their way back to the tent, came inside, and sat down beside me. Many eyes were on me to see how I was going to react. I was so happy to have them there with me!

Sara was in pants that were way too short for her. She had holes in her clothes and they were so very dirty. As I looked at her and smiled the sun was shining on her just right and I could see tiny, tiny, little bugs crawling on her vest. I had some hand lotion in my back pack and put some in my hand and then some in hers. I showed her how to rub it into her hands. Then I took and rubbed it into my arms up to my elbows. As she followed my actions her face glowed with delight as she smoothed the lotion into her dry little arms.

On my way home Sara found me and walked with me. She informed me that she wants to go home with me. We started a conversation of getting to know each other a little better. I wanted to see if she was an orphan and if perhaps there was a way I could find a better home for her. Sara does have a mother who lives in Kipsongo slums.

November 24th Thursday is the second day of the conference. The group continues to grow in size. Some are even sleeping here so that they don’t have to travel. The women love to sing and dance. There are times they will raise their chair above their heads and start marching around. They will swing their handkerchiefs in the air. Their Bibles will be placed on their head and they will dance some more. There is always much action with their singing. The message is given in English and then someone will interpret it into Swahili for me. At the end they were given the opportunity to accept Jesus into their heart. Fourteen raised their hands today for salvation. What a song was sung in the heavens above!

After a lunch, of rice and beans, we broke the women up into small groups. I had a group of pastors and pastors’ wives. (All women) It was a time of open discussion of anything that they were having trouble with or needed help with. Guess who had to answer these questions! Knowing that the culture here is very different and there are just some things you don’t talk about I wasn’t sure just how far to go with the answers to some of their questions. I silently prayed for wisdom from above many times. The questions were very open and direct and the women longed to have someone inform them. I was amazed at how great the need is for teaching in just the basics of what to expect as one matures and goes through the different phases of life.

November 25th, Friday the conference continues and so does the singing and dancing! These gals don’t seem to get tired! They love to celebrate. We went to the Bread of Life Center for lunch again today. It is also known as the, feeding station. It is a school for over 200 children in Kipsongo slums. They not only teach them but they feed them lunch as well. Many times there will be children at the gate that come just for the food. Today we had githari or beans and corn. While eating it began to pour and it didn’t stop for some time. We had to cancel our small group sessions in the afternoon because of the time lost due to the weather.

In the last hour of the day Sara joins me in the tent again. She is in the same dirty pants that she has seriously out grown. Before the conference is over I ask her if she is hungry. Her eyes get big and she nods. I have her follow me and as we get to the door of the tent she yells out for Alex. Alex is close by and comes running. They both enjoy some food and a soda from the vendor set up next to the tent.

The day has come to an end and from the van I scan the dump area. There are people scattered here and there through out the garbage. Some are gathering around an open fire that they have started as the night will soon fall upon us. There are small children huddled together in a group. One looks my way and with a big smile she raises her hand and waves as we leave their home and drive away.

Proverbs 31:8-9
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

No comments: