Sunday, November 20, 2011

Crying Out To God

Here at the lodge we have three dogs but we rarely see them in the day. Once darkness closes in on our day the dogs are set free to roam the compound. They are quiet dogs and if they should bark one comes to attention just a little more than usual. The stars seem to shine brighter here and the nights give way to their own sounds. It is a peaceful, quiet area until a monkey decides to show himself!

November 19 th A day of errands in town sounds like an easy feat but it is Africa. The natives run on their own time schedule. No one rushes. No one is in a hurry. Something very easy to accomplish can take many hours. I had some papers I wanted to print today. I was told where this could be done. I walked in and asked them if they could print a paper for me. Yes, but the machine is broken. When something is broken it stays broken for a long time. They pointed in another direction and sent me on my way. I arrived at another place and asked them if they could print something for me. Yes, but they were out of paper. It is a gentle reminder that I am a ways from home.

Sunday, November 20th, I started out walking to church. The sun was shining bright and the birds were singing. It was a beautiful day. The quietness around me gave me time to reflect on the greatness of God as I walked. I stopped to say hi to a little girl beside the road. A couple other children came over to join us. They wanted their picture taken and were very happy to stand there and smile at the camera. The two little ones that were tied to their backs were terrified to see a white woman so close to them. I smiled and tried talking softly to them but nothing took the fear from them.

I spoke at United Christian Ministries today. It is an independent church that meets in a room of the school house. There were many testimonies of God’s faithfulness from those attending. Then the small choir blessed me with a beautiful song sung in English.

From the service I walked and talked with the pastor’s wife. We spent some time together as it was my desire to encourage her.

After saying goodbye and leaving one another I started to walk toward the area where the motorcycles sit and wait for customers. Up behind me I hear “my sister” I turn and it is the same guy that ran out of fuel taking me back to the lodge on Friday. We had gone part way up the hill when the motorcycle started to sputter a bit and then it came to a complete stop. We both knew it was out of fuel and we got off the motorcycle. He proceeded to take the fuel cover off and blow into the tank. He was trying to get all the droplets and moisture on the sides of the tank together to go just a little further. I told him I was all set and would walk the rest of the way. I paid him the fare anyway as I knew he needed it.

I'm not sure that I was as happy to see him as he was to see me but I proceeded to ask him if he had fuel today. He assured me that he did. Today he would take me all the way to the lodge. So even though I saw some parts tied on with rope I got on the back and off we went. It was evident that this man was struggling and he was trying with everything within him to keep his business going. We went slowly and I didn’t mind. It wasn’t his choice though the motorcycle just didn’t have the power it probably had at one time. It slowed down even more as we climbed the hill. He did indeed take me all the way to the lodge, just like he said. As he slowed down at the entrance the engine went dead. I paid him his fee and thanked him and watched him roll quietly down the hill on his motorcycle.

Please pray for a dear friend of mine in the Nairobi area. Gladys and her husband, Pastor Joseph, work with the street children. We have ministered together to those that many fear. Even though we are a day’s journey away from each other the Lord placed them on my heart. After talking with her husband I found out she has been very ill for two weeks. After asking several direct questions I found out they didn’t have the money for the medicine she had been prescribed. After asking a few more questions I found out they were without food as well. They never once asked for anything it was only because I continued to ask that I found out how serious a situation they were in. They had been crying out to Lord for He is the one that supplies all of our needs. Their immediate needs have been met but I am sure the continued prayer on their behalf will be greatly appreciated.

Psalms 18:6 In my distress I called to the Lord, I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.

No comments: