Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The roads are becoming familiar.

Tuesday I walked with Pastor Chris & Pastor Felix in Kawangware. I am starting to know my way around now. The path ways and roads are becoming familiar. I enjoy the door to door visits. We entered the home of the woman who accepted Jesus when I spoke at the crusade. She had been involved in the occult and suffered because of it. She told us that since we prayed she has had peace. Her eyes shine bright now. The confused and troubled look on her face is gone. Great work has been done all because of the name of Jesus.


There have been many babies born here in the last two weeks. I have had the pleasure to pray a blessing upon many of them. Some babies are given black bracelets to wear from the witch doctor. They wear these bracelets night & day because they think it brings protection.


We went into the Congo area and visited many homes and also a school. There are many people here who are controlled by substance abuse. Bars line the dusty dirty pathway. Men are passed out here & there with the hot sun beating down on them. You’ll see a bottle in their hand or close by.


I have seen many different kinds of food. Today someone was roasting chicken feet over an open fire. You will see the intestinal lining of cows and goats for sale. Sugar cane stalks are cut and chewed. Ugali is a favorite meal consisting of white corn meal (cooked like instant potatoes), with tomatoes boiled to a sauce for the top. Maybe some greens (something like kale) and sometimes goat or beef pieces.


One lady I met today was selling white grainy rocks at her stand. The rocks are small enough to hold two or three in your hand. Women who want to have a baby will eat these rocks. Once they are pregnant they will continue to eat the rocks until the baby is born.


Mohammad, a Muslim leader approached me today. He had been drinking. He started asking me questions. I knew immediately he was trying to trick me and the wrong answer would be used to cause trouble. He did not succeed. God is faithful.


We cross areas where the drainage runs deep and stepping stones will not work. In these areas they make little wooden foot bridges. As I step onto the bridge and look down between the cracks I silently pray “Lord please don’t let it break now”.


I met a man selling tooth brushes. He had made them out of branches the size of a writing pen. One end he frayed it a bit so that it would clean a wider area. He even gave me a demonstration.


Another little boy tried to sell me a puppy for 75 cents US. I have a soft heart for puppies but I don’t have any place for one here. It did make me think for a minute though. My husband will be happy to hear that the puppy is still in Kawangware.


Pastor Alfred’s little daughter, Rebecca, is almost 3. She is telling everyone that I am her “Aunt”. I guess I’ve been adopted into the family. Her love is beautiful.

No comments: