Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Turkana Baby Dedication

 
 
May 5, 2013 Saturday The night was hot but with the ceiling fan on high speed the night soon turned into daylight hours. My eyes scan the floor before I lift the net which covers my bed.  In this land it is necessary to shake your clothes before putting them on and making sure nothing has turned your shoes into their abode.  It is a buggy land and a dangerous land with poisonous spiders, scorpions and snakes. It doesn’t matter if you’re inside or out you are living in their territory.
The trees around St Theresa’s form an oasis in this dry desert land.  It has become a welcomed refuge after being beneath the hot sun of Turkana land. 
 
Today there will be a baby dedication outside the trading area of Lodwar.  It is in one of the villages just a short distance away.  It will be a day of celebration for the families and those within the village. 
A tarp has been set up to protect us from the burning rays of the African sun.  Here the average temperature is 100 degrees with over 50% humidity.  The baby boy is 2 months old now and this will be the first time mama has ventured out since his birth. This is according to the Turkana way.
 
 
Many have gathered for this joyful time. A time of celebration comes in the form of dancing, singing and the beating of drums.  Guests are encouraged to stand and share a few words and the sun brightens the sky even more. The tarp shelters us but there is still a need to wipe the brow over and over again.
 
Several times I have heard about the goat they slaughtered that “I did not eat.” It was a few years back and we were in the interior and they had slaughtered a goat for me to eat. It was a way to honor me. I sat on the ground and watched them cut the goat into different parts. Some special internal pieces went to only the men. I remember thanking God that I was a woman! Today they asked me why I did not eat with them. So I told them that it was not cooked enough (it was raw) and they all laughed. I’m not sure why they thought that was funny but part of today’s celebration is slaughtering a goat or two for the guests. I think this time I must eat with them.
 
 
Throughout the service many stood and told about their children being born. There was one guy that told about his first baby. He was so sure it was a boy that he told everyone. After his wife delivered they told him to come and meet his daughter. He was so surprised that he was wrong. On his second child he kept quiet and didn’t tell anyone. When they came and told him it was a boy he jumped up and down. He rejoiced so everyone could hear him.
 

 
When it was time for me to give the message I took the time to share my Dad's story with them. I explained to them how American men love their daughters just as much as their sons but they also want to have a son. I explained that I was the first born and I was girl. Then the second child came and it was a girl.Then the third child came and it was a girl. Then the fourth child came and it was another girl. They loved the story and by this time they were all laughing. Then I went on to say that when the fifth child was born and my Day had his boy. He had a son! My Dad rejoiced so much he could be heard throughout the hospital. Then God blessed him more as his sixth child was a son also. They loved his story and it brought smiles to every face.

After the message it was time for the gifts to be brought. Everyone participates in giving. There are many gifts; a young goat, some cloth, a cup, a saucer, food, shillings, a plastic bucket and the list goes on. Anything that would help this couple and this new little child was brought with love and dancing.
 
Then it was time to celebrate with food! The pastors are taken into one of the mud huts to sit by themselves and are given the best of the food. I’m asked if I will eat the meat so I suggested that just a small piece would be fine. My plate is placed before me and it is so very full of food and there are huge pieces of meat piled on top. Knowing that this will be the only meal of the day for everyone here I decided to bless the pastor next to me. I kept a couple smaller pieces of goat and slid the rest into the pastor’s plate beside me. He did not complain! I ate until I couldn’t eat any more. It made them so happy to see that I would eat with them. The flies were absolutely awful though.They were landing on everything and sticking to me. There were at least ten flies on the person across from me at one given time.
 
I was taken back to my room at St Theresa’s and I welcomed the time of rest from the heat. I have been so blessed to have such a nice place. This room is far beyond my expectations but was given to me by one of the Sister’s for my time of rest. Last year she made an honorary Sister and this year they have blessed me with a room that is brand new and their very best! I told them I was not prepared to pay for such a room and I was told “not to worry.” The Lord is so good!
 
Mark 10:16 And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.

No comments: