Saturday, May 18, 2013

"It's Broken!"

 
 
May 10, 2013 (Friday) The sound of the early morning song birds has to be the best alarm clock around. The sun shines bright as it rises over the mountain ranges and offers us a new day. 
On April 21st, three weeks ago, I fell.  It was instant pain and swelling and I thought I had sprained my ankle. The swelling and bruising has been a constant reminder that something has been injured. 
 
Although doctor’s offices and hospitals are places I try to stay out of I realized I needed to have an   x- ray of my ankle to see why it wasn’t getting better.
The doctor’s words echoed in my ears, “It’s broken.”   Off your ankle and eight to ten weeks in a cast is not what I wanted to hear.  He continued to say “You must be one tough woman to walk around on a broken ankle for three weeks!” As he took down my information and age his head popped up fast and he looked very surprised.  You look so young!  What do you do to stay this way?
I was fortunate to have found a good doctor and he knew what needed to be done.  However, the supplies necessary to make a cast had to found first and it was up to me to find and purchase the materials.
I traveled into town and went to four different places, each shaking their head in response to my request.  After each “no” I called the doctor and he would give me the name of another place to try.
One place could order some for us but it would take at least four days for it to arrive and that was big “maybe.”   Finally, after visiting a doctor’s office on the other side of town, we had what we needed.
 
I returned to Doc Mark’s office and the cast was put on.  While the cast was being put on I shared the names of my children with the doctor and told him that my youngest child was named Mark.  He had two little girls so I was a grandmother.  His head snapped up again and said,” a grandmother?!?  You are so young looking!!!”  I wasn’t happy about having a cast put on my leg for 8 -10 weeks but after a conversation like that I felt pretty good :)
Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

No comments: