Thursday, May 16, 2013

Hardship & Hunger

 
May 6, 2013 (Monday) Today’s journey takes us away from the trading stores, away from electricity and out into an areas without roads.  Almost 2,000 pounds of maize has been purchased along with bags of salt and cooking fat. A truck in good condition and capable of handling the terrain ahead of us has been hired and loaded.  We have a spare tire and the truck is full of fuel.  Everyone has bottled water and we are on our way.  We are headed into the interior parts of the hot desert land.  The desert thorn bushes show some green as the rains have fallen days before. 
 
Herds of goats roam freely and camels become a common sight as we travel deeper in. The mountain ranges that separate us from Uganda are ahead and those that separate us from Sudan are to the side of us.  The mountain ranges are beautiful and the blue sky before us is filled with huge white clouds. There are huts along the way and we wave to the people as we pass by. Those working outside stop and stand and with big smiles they watch us drive by.
We drive through large dry river beds that at one time held some fast moving water. The banks have washed away and a large amount of soil along the river’s edge has disappeared.
 


Huts are evidence that life is close by and as we drive up onto a mound of white sand we see many.  We have arrived at our destination.  In the midst of the huts sits a little church and it is alive with people. 
Life is hard here and the heat is extreme night and day. Generations before them cared for their herds on this land and they will not leave.  It is their land passed down from generation to generation. 
The elder Mama stands to greet me.  They have prayed for me and inform me that since we met last not one woman has died.  They know that they will never travel to America but ask me to take their thanks back with me.
 
In extreme heat they jump and dance the Turkana way.  The oldest leads the way to the center of the dirt floor and with all of her heart she praises God in dance and song.  Little ones sit in the front and watch the many feet move in the desert sand.   The drum with goat hide stretched across the top gives the energized beat to follow and more join in this time of celebration.
  
After a time of sharing the Word we close in prayer and move outside.  It is time to encourage those in the area with maize, cooking fat and salt.  They bring their used plastic bags, a box, or a container some will use the cloth that wraps their body and they wait in line for their portion of food.  My eyes take note of the suffering around me and their actions express their great need.  Each piece of corn that falls to the ground is quickly gathered, not one piece gets left behind.  How many days have they gone without? How many hungry children have cried themselves to sleep? 
  
Their bodies show the signs of lack and of hardship.  They are miles from the trading stores and the earth does not produce food to sustain them.  Yet they continue on not knowing any other way, not knowing any other life and thinking that at home I milk camels too!
It is time to say goodbye and travel back.  The men sit quietly together under a large thorn bush.  Their small handmade wood stools are the only comfort they have.  One of the elder men stands and approaches me.  He says he has watched me since I arrived. He has heard me share the scriptures and he has seen me give out food.  He has noticed that I have worked since I arrived and not rested.  Then he pauses and says…..we have nothing to give you to show our thanks.   I informed him that he did, I was taking his love and his blessing home with me.
 
Before the day was over we had delivered food to three different areas.   Many had been encouraged and tonight they will not go to bed hungry. 
 
Matthew 25:35-40  “ For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?” 
The King will reply, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.”
 

No comments: