Friday, May 17, 2013

Flash Flood, Sinkhole, Police Evacuation

 

May 7, 2013 (Tuesday) It was a night of thunder, lightning and heavy rain.  It seemed that the storm was right above us.  I’m sure it must have woken everyone around.  It poured and poured throughout the night.  When I woke the stillness was alive with the happy noises of frogs.  I thought for sure the rains had brought the tree frogs together in song.  It was an amazing and delightful sound and I gathered my video camera to capture this special moment in a faraway land.  As I looked out over the land I thought my early morning eyes were playing tricks on me.  The garden area owned by the diocese but given to the Turkana to grow vegetables in looked like a river!  They worked this land daily and the land was producing a good crop for them.  It is valuable land as soil around us will not produce any food.
 
 
I looked again and realized what I was seeing was truly water, a river of water.  It was early and as I walked closer I could see that this water was moving fast and it was making its way into the compound.  The birds were arriving in flocks and the garden area was now turning into a bird sanctuary.
The Sisters joined me as we looked over the situation.  One of the helpers was brave enough to walk out into the water covering the garden.  It was now up to his chest.  Had the water peaked or will it continue to flow toward our rooms?  Last night’s rain was intense not only for us but also in the Uganda Mountains and we were recipients of that water that was rolling down from the mountains at a rapid pace.  The Turkwell River that can’t be seen from here but is still considered close by has expanded and is overflowing. 

In a very short time the water comes rushing into the compound grounds.  It rises and enters my room.   My things are prepared and the mattress and bedding have been put on top of the mosquito net frame.  I’ve stacked some furniture and tied the curtains up high.
The men come to help me gather my things and walk me out.  The water now up to my knees is diseased water as the river is very dirty and risky to enter.  Not only does one worry about the diseases but the possibility of poisonous snakes being in the flood waters is very high.
 
 
I’m told to follow them as they walk a few steps ahead of me.  I’m walking on solid ground and can feel the dirty, muddy water rushing by my legs.  Suddenly my body drops down into the ground.  There is no bottom for me to place my feet on.  There is nothing but soupy mud around me and my legs are within the earth.  I try to move to help myself get out but I start to sink deeper.  I am completely helpless.  The men quickly came to my rescue.  I was reaching my hand out toward them as far I could.  If they came too close they could also fall into this “sinkhole or swallow hole.”   They grabbed my hands and the two of them pulled with all their might.  It was like the earth had me and didn’t want to let me go.  I would never have gotten out if it were not for these two men.  I could not help myself.
Muddy and very wet we continued our walk out. Once they got me out of the sinkhole they never let go of me until I was safely at the main reception area.

The floor of the main entrance area sits a little higher and was dry at the time however to my amazement I could see the situation was much worse than I had thought.  The river had completely surrounded us.  It was not just in front of my room but we had water all around us and it was getting higher.
 
The police soon arrived in their trucks and started to remove us from St. Theresa’s.  Their loud authoritative voices were heard as many crawled into the back of their trucks.  “You want to die?  Don’t you care about your life? Get into the truck now
 
With very little communication and not knowing where they were taking us we left St. Theresa’s behind.  We drove past the gate and out the long driveway covered in water.  At the water’s edge were mobs of people standing and watching everything unfold.
We were taken to the other side of town to a place called Bethany.  Bethany is also owed by the Diocese of Lodwar.  It is one of the first places they built when they arrived here.  It sits high and there is no need to worry about flooding here.  
We wait and wonder what is happening at St Theresa’s.  We hear reports that the water is still rising. It is now waist deep and has entered every room.  It is evident that we need another place to sleep for the night.  Some people decided to call it quits and left the area early.   Others have found places to sleep in the center of town.  There are many of us, IDPs, needing a place to sleep.  One of the Sisters opened a door to a room and started to apologize.  She was sorry that this was all that she had and that it wasn’t nicer.  I didn’t have any complaints; I was so happy and thankful just to have a bed! 
Experiencing a flash flood, stepping into a sinkhole and being evacuated by the police doesn’t happen every day and that's a good thing!  One thing I know for sure is that I have a friend that protects me and surrounds me with his love each and every day.  His name is Jesus. 
Psalm 17:8 Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings...


 

No comments: