Monday, November 10, 2008

Where Are You Going?

Every Sunday there are loud speakers attached to the outside of the church.  Even in the rain the songs and sermon ring throughout the community.  You never know how many lives are touched and changed by the Word of God. Some of the faces and names we might never know.

 

Today though we are encouraged as Eric joins us.  He shares with us how the Word of God has touched him.

 

The story of Hannah found in I Samuel 1 went out over the loud speakers.  Hannah, a woman, scorned, looked down on, an outcast, deliberately ridiculed, still kept her heart pure. Feeling discouraged and alone, she continued to pray to God.

 

Eric was listening from his home as I spoke about this woman. He heard how strong she was through so much difficulty.  He explained that in his culture women were thought of as weaker and less than man.  As I spoke he was thinking…if a woman can be this strong certainly I can.

 

I continued on and included how Hannah was concerned about her reputation.  When she was accused of being drunk, she said "I have not been drinking"  "I am not a wicked woman". I encouraged the church to be concerned about their words & actions. I encouraged them to keep a good reputation.

 

Eric listening from his home was also drinking his "spirits." He immediately puts his drink down and stands up.  His wife says "Where are you going?  To another bar?" He replied  "No, I'm going to church!"

 

As I spoke I noticed a man walking back & forth outside the back door of the church.  I didn't realize how much God was working within this man.

 

After the service I sat with Eric.  He shared with me how years ago he went to church.  He got discourage when troubles came. He stopped going to church until today.  Today he recommitted his life to Jesus.  He happily states that next Sunday he will come with his whole family.

 

Psalm 66:5  Come and see what God has done, how awesome His works in man's behalf.

No comments: