Sunday, February 28, 2016

Home Away From Home


Monday, February 8, 2016 Morning came before the birds introduced the new day in with song. I was on my way to western Kenya and I needed to be on the other side of Nairobi by six o’clock.  City traffic can cause long delays and we allowed extra time “just in case.”  Wilson airport was busy even though it was early.  We went through the usual check as if we were entering the parking lot of a grocery store. The car is stopped, men with machine guns check your trunk, your glove compartment, they look around inside your vehicle, with a large round mirror they examine under your car, they ask a few questions and then allow you to enter.  It doesn’t matter if it is a grocery store or the airport, security is high and the checks are much the same here in Nairobi.
The sun rising over the small planes declares that the day will be full of light once again. Its brightness puts everyone in action and the airport becomes alive with those ready to travel.  Carts of luggage are taken out one by one and placed in the appropriate plane. The planes are small and used for short trips across the country. Many mission flights will leave from this airport to take food and supplies into remote areas of Kenya. 

A loud voice echoes through the room telling us it is time to board.  As we walk outside toward the plane we step into hurricane like winds as the plane warms its engine preparing for take-off.  Before we squeeze through the door way which does not allow us to stand straight we are handed a brown bag with water and a cookie.  There are no safety warnings to review but a welcome from the pilot who can be seen by everyone as he takes us west.

Beneath the plane herds of animals can be seen but they are  much too small to identify.  We pass over the mountain ranges and volcanoes, some of which are still active, and the Great Rift Valley. We have left the city behind us and the land ahead is rich and fertile.  The city buildings towering above my head, the massive people that line the streets, the rush of traffic and the fumes that fill the air will now be a memory of another place.
As the plane descends the land takes on the look of a patch work quilt made of different shapes of land being plowed and readied for planting. The tiny building in the midst of corn fields that serves as the airport terminal has been spotted. We have arrived!


Theresa and her two little children are waiting at the airport and take me to my room at the lodge. The roads are full of pot holes and it is very dusty.  Dust from the red soil fills the vehicle and it triggers a nagging cough that is all too familiar in a season without rains.

I’m greeted at the lodge by familiar and faithful workers then my suitcases are taken to my room. I follow close behind as I’m ready to get unpacked and settled.  The long narrow hallway leads to my room and there to my surprise is a door with my name painted on the outside!  It made me smile big knowing that once again I had returned to a place that felt like home even though it was far away from home. They said whenever they talked about this room it was always referred to as “Linda’s room” so they made it official!

There was much to do. There was a quick trip to town to by some groceries but it meant calling my motorbike driver and hoping he was still in the business. Edwin had not forgotten me and he recognized my voice right away. Soon I was on the back of his bike and on the way to town.
 
As I walked the familiar streets in town an older man with a tumor on his neck called out my name.  I had started to walk by him as I didn't notice him standing there.  He was elated to see me and I was so happy to see him as well.  His eyes are bad and a couple years ago we gave him a large print Bible and some reading glasses.  He has never forgotten it!

Although the internet and phone system was down I still needed to get my computer registered in order to communicate with home. Internet and power will be sporadic here and we will go long lengths of time without “steama” (electricity) especially when the rains come.
Joni, a great friend and missionary was here to welcome me back. We have taught many classes together and have encouraged one another through the hard times on the mission field. I was happy to see her and I know she felt the same...that is until her bike driver asked her if I was her daughter :)



Proverbs 3:23-24 Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.




No comments: