Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Arrived Safely




Wednesday, February 3rd, 2016 The time had come for the special hugs, kisses and tears, along with words of love that I would carry with me half way around the world.  My suitcases were as full as they could be and decorated with such love by my granddaughters.  Each suitcase displayed the original orange & green duct tape art of XOXO (kisses & hugs).  Something that would be easily seen when I went to collect my luggage! It would also make me smile as I thought of it along the way. They even helped pack my suitcases with some special toys to give to the children. There was one last round of hugs, a quick look around to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything and a quick stop for my last juicy hamburger for a while and  I was on my way.
Thursday, February 4, 2016 After 16 hours in the air and a stopover in London the wheels of the plane finally touched down on Kenyan soil. The flight was smooth and the sky was crystal clear. The views of God’s creative hand beneath me were amazing. The mountain tops, the vast ocean, the desert sands and the sun setting over a land that calls my name …. I was in awe of God greatness.

The plane door opens and the warm Kenyan air brushes past my face and welcomes me. I am quickly reminded that yes I have arrived in a different and far away land.  From the plane we are taken by bus to the airport, however there is only one small bus for over two hundred people and we are all very ready to leave the plane and stretch our legs. There is no rush here and no concern as in time it will all work out and if it doesn’t there is always tomorrow :)

My entry papers were approved and all my luggage arrived in tact. When I was pulled over in Customs for a check and my heart sank a little. It had been a long trip and this meant questioning, opening up the suitcases and perhaps some unreasonable taxes.  It meant more time would elapse before getting to my room and I was already beyond tired.  My eyes lock with the headman who is busy giving orders and he quickly waves me on. He overrules the attendant ready to check my suitcases and tells me I’m free to go. This was an answer to prayer!

Men on guard with machine guns, police checks and camera lights flashing above us as we leave the airport and travel through the streets of Nairobi are a constant reminder of the dangers we now face.

It’s been a long journey and midnight has come and gone. As my head slides into the pillow the night sounds of Africa fill the air. There are dogs that bark the night away but as dawn breaks through the darkness their bark weakens and countless song birds sing as the African sun bounces higher and higher into the sky.

Psalms 57: 9-11  I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. For great is your love, reaching to the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.  Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth.

No comments: