Friday, March 20, 2009

"Pick Me Teacher"

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

 

     Early, early morning the mountain tops are viewed freely.  Then with the blink of the eye the clouds rush in and completely cover us with a white blanket.  There is nothing to be seen but solid white not matter which way one looks.  This morning I open my door and walk through the clouds.  Soon the day opens above us and the views to behold are wonderful.   Everyone rises at dawn. There is much to do.  Women with babies tied to their back stand barefoot on the slopes of the mountains. With hoes in hand they work the earth getting it ready for seed.  Children gather sticks and wood for fires before walking to school. Young girls carry buckets of water on their head.  Cows are being taken to better feeding areas.  Hogs run freely around us.  Washing clothes by hand has already begun.  It is early morning and the day is in full operation.

 

The village chief was notified of my arrival.  He has welcomed me and given me permission to walk around freely.  Everyone has been very friendly here.  There are times when I walk through the miner's village that every eye is on me.  I am told they don't often see a white woman here. 

 

 Alex has a battery operated radio to his ear as we walk the "short cut" to school.   He listens faithfully to the news.  He says living in the village has dangers…"the world runs ahead of you and your head becomes like ice.".  So he likes to keep up with all that is going on. 

 

  School begins and the children are happy to learn.  When a question is asked the sound of snapping fingers hits my ears.  They raise their hands snap their fingers and long to be the one picked.  "Pick me teacher, pick me teacher,"rings through out the room.  Each class is well attended. One class has 65 students.  I end one class and within five minutes I am standing in front of the next class.  They are starting to ask me if I ever get tiredJ With the sound of an iron rod hitting the inside of a metal circle we stop for lunch.  The children play marbles with small rocks, volley ball with out a net, sing and enjoy the time outside.  Alex and I share some bread before returning for the afternoon classes.

 

  After school we visit at one of the teacher's home in a different area of the village. Claude a nurse in the area has already heard about me through the handicap orphans.  Claude travels back and forth from Congo to Rwanda.  He begins to tell me that from here to Congo the roads are very, very bad.  The best route and fastest route is to cross the lake by boat.  Then with a pause he says "Do you like to swim?"   I think we will save the Congo trip for another time J

 

  Rwandese soldiers have been sent into the Congo while I've been here.  They have agreed to work with the Congo soldiers to find and capture the 6000 soldiers hiding in the Congo.  These 6000 men took an active part in the genocide and the threat of regrouping remains until they are captured.

 

After eating and resting I shared the story of "David & Goliath" with the orphans who live below my room.  They are so excited to have me spend time with them. I am repeatedly asked "How long can you stay here?"  They have a song in their heart and they love to share it with me.  Tonight they learned a new song "Only a boy named David".  I hear "sing it again". One of the mutes points to the palm of her hand and her hand goes round and round.  The time of singing brings many smiles and much laughter.  After our regular time of praying for each child I say good night. 

 

As I walk in the coolness of the mountain night air my eyes venture upward.

Oh the beauty that shines at night. The African sky holds the stars tightly together. They almost take over the darkness above  How amazing you are God.  You have named each one.

 

Isaiah 40:25 & 26

  To whom will you compare me?  Or who is my equal? says the Holy One.

Lift your eyes and look to the heavens. Who created all these?

He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name.

 

Thursday, February 26, 2009

 

  Many in the area want to learn English.   I have been asked by the priest of a Catholic school near by if I have time to teach his students.  The head officials in the area have also asked that I teach the leaders of the community.  They are pleased with the progress of the children and are receiving many good reports.  I have been asked to stay here longer . There is so much to do but exhaustion stands in the way.

No comments: