Saturday, March 21, 2009

Little Hands Begin To Wave

Friday, February 27, 2009

    

It rained hard this morning. The clouds break over us and the teaching stops.  When it rains it is hard for the children to concentrate because of the noise it makes hitting the roof.  Singing begins to pass the time.  Children move away from the open windows.  The coolness of the air that the rain brings gives need to an extra covering. 

 

    The teachers are pleased at the progress the children are making. I'm told they hear children singing now as they walk to school.  One little girl with a fever refused to go home today because she didn't want to miss the class.  They are asking for me to stay a month and continue with teaching.

 

    Friday is chapel day for 428 orphans.  The seats are full.  The floor is used.  They fill the room until there just isn't any more space.   Those that can't make it inside line up on the outside and gaze through the windows.  The door way is packed with those hoping to find a way to squeeze through the crowd. 

 

    The colorful flannel graph lesson of the crucifixion of Jesus is displayed before them.  Eyes are wide open and excitement fills the air.  My feet are locked into one spot as the room is full.   I can not move. As the message is given, quietness fills the air.  All eyes are on me.  Every word I speak is received with the longing for more.  Today the chapel service went longer than usual and no one offered to leave.  One little girl said "I wish I could stay here forever".

 

   Over one hundred orphans wanted to ask Jesus into their heart.  We quickly moved people around so that they could come closer to the front for prayer.  It was a beautiful sight to see so many young children seeking the Lord.  On their knees and with hands lifted toward heaven they asked Jesus into their heart.

 

    As the children are leaving my eyes fall on one little boy.  He is still standing in front of the flannel board.  His eyes are fixed on the figurine of Jesus hanging on the cross.  He doesn't move. His eyes stay focused.  Much is going on around him but he is unaware of his surroundings.  He will never forget what he has heard today.  

 

    As we walk toward home we thank the Lord for how he worked in so many lives today.  Our hearts are singing J As I round a corner closer to the top of the mountain I look up toward my destination. There on the ridge are the orphans from the Catholic Parish.  They are all lined up watching for me to return.  Little hands begin to wave back and forth.  They bring much joy into my life.

 

     My evenings are spent with the orphans here at the Catholic Parish.  Each night from about 8 – 10 pm I share a Bible story, some songs and then pray with them before they go to sleep. Tonight the story is about Noah and the ark.  One little girl could not understand why God would allow snakes on the ark!

 

  The children love to be hugged, to set in my lap and to touch my hair.  They even study my finger nails. Everyone wants to be the one sitting beside me.  They have picked me flowers and made me cards to express their love.  Today it was market day.  So there is a special treat…fresh pineapple for everyone.  They are so excited that they can share it with me.  I am blessed to be so loved.  They know there is a day a head when I will be leaving.  Each night I am asked how many more days I can stay.  Their response is "I wish you could stay forever".

 

  The nights are quieter now and the children are sleeping better.  The older orphan that interprets for me walks back upstairs with me. He has many questions about the Bible stories.  I ask him to bring me a Bible and I show him exactly where each story can be read.  He is so eager to learn more. I return to my room exhausted but happy.  Here high above the school I hear children close by practicing their vowel sounds.  It brings a smile to my face. 


Saturday, February 28, 2009


Today is community work day.  Everyone in Rwanda is to do some work to help the community look better.  Many work in the ditches beside the road.  When it rains the water flows better beside the road.  Pot holes in the roads are filled in.  Rwanda is a very clean land.  Garbage is not seen anywhere.  The kids beneath me are busy washing clothes in buckets.  They are happy washing and cleaning different areas near their room.

 

    I'm being fixed tea at the Catholic house when Alex & Nesta, two teachers from the school, arrive to take me on a walk.  It is Saturday and school is not in session.  Some how the children here expected me to spend the whole day with them.  There are some words said in their native language and I detect the problem.

 

   We walk through the miners' village and further into the country.  The slopes are lined with banana trees.  Many of these bananas are used to make "banana beer".  We stop at a very peaceful lake.  All the water that the miners use for the mining operations is piped from here.  A few years ago 2 orphans drowned in this lake.  One fell in and the other tried to help pull him out.  Neither boy could swim.

 

   We see many school children along the way.  They are walking with bananas on their heads or out cutting grass for the cows.  Some are gathering sticks for the fire.  Everyone has something to do.  We walked over the brook where gold has been found.  Soon a mining operation will start in this area.  On the way home we pass several prisoners as the guards have them outside.  Those in prison here are doing time for small crimes.

 

   My evening is spent downstairs with the orphans.  I try to go a little earlier tonight but it's time for them to eat.  Their plates are lined up on the floor.  One by one they find a place to sit with their food.  So many want to share what they have with me.  Their hearts are so loving and kind.  While they eat the happy chatter comes to an end.Every bit of food becomes warmth inside their bellies.  Fingers begin to wipe the bottom of their dish.  It is gone way too soon.

 

Psalm 11:14

But you O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand. 

The victim commits himself to you; you are the helper of the fatherless.

No comments: