Monday, June 3, 2013

His First Shoes

 Lydia is 8 years old and she has never gone to school. Thank you for making it possible for Lydia and so many others like her to go to school for the very first time!
May 21, 2013 (Tuesday) After seeing that the school opened on Monday the 13th I took a rest.  For the next week I followed the doctor’s orders and stayed off my foot. My work for the school was still not done but I was fortunate to have friends that were willing to be my feet and do some running for me.  Theresa searched the market for more school sweaters.  Titus & Evans shopped for more black shoes, socks and various other school needs.  Calls and prayers came in from all around as the word spread that my ankle was broken.
“Little Angels” had been open for a week and it was time for me to return to see if things were running smoothly.   I called Moses my taxi driver as my motorcycle riding days are over until the cast comes off. As we drive into the church/school yard I am surprised to see mamas, children and even men sitting outside on the grounds.  I’m quickly updated with the news that they are waiting for me!  They have come every day for a week now and have waited for me to arrive.  They want to see if they can register their children for school.
Before addressing those that have been waiting it is necessary to see what problems and issues we are facing.  One problem that soon becomes very evident is the children need to be taught to use the latrine and not the ground underneath the church window.  Time and schedules aren’t important to most Kenyans so having school start at 8am is a hard adjustment for them.  Children are coming to school at all hours of the day making it difficult to teach. Uniforms are still being made so some of the children have to wait just a few more days.   We have parents insisting that their child be given the uniform to the point that they will undress a child with a uniform so that it can be put on theirs.  Of course there are many hungry people around and we are finding that parents are returning for the porridge that is made for the children.

After talking with those in charge and hearing all of the issues we face we then turn our focus to the parents and guardians of the 20 children waiting. If it were one or two it would be an easy answer but enrolling 20 more students will take more than a quick “yes.”  I see the disappointment in their faces as they are told they will have to wait one more day for their answer.

May 22, 2012 (Wednesday) We purchase some extra baby chairs and travel out to the village.  The children are at the car door before I even open it.  The parents have not given up and have already gathered outside the school. 
 
We prepare a desk and gather a couple chairs to start the registration process of the new students.  Most of these mama’s have never gone to school themselves.  They can’t read or write.  They don’t understand English or speak it but one by one they came to me and the slight bow of the head and shoulders along with the ever grateful handshake touched my heart.  I felt their thanks. I felt the mama’s heart within them.  I felt “Wow God, look what you have done!”  I felt very small in comparison to all that was happening around me.
 
If you ask these children what makes them happy they will tell you...”going to school!” This will be the first generation that has gone to school for many of the families here in the villages of Taito and Makoi. We send our thanks to all of  you for making it possible:)
Yes, we now have sixty “Little Angels” and most of them are going to school for the very first time.  Jackson, an orphan, is ten years old and he has never owned a pair of shoes.  He has never worn a pair of shoes until he came to school.   
William is eleven years old and he and has never gone to school either.  We have about seven children over seven years old that have never attended school.  The village and surrounding area has been hit very hard with disease and many are HIV+.   Many children are being raised by grandparents because of it.  We have nine orphans enrolled in the school.
 
May 25, 2013 (Saturday) The day is bright and the sky blue. The maize fields have been planted and they rise upward toward the sun.  The fields are green with plenty.   Monkeys playfully bounce in the trees around us.  The natives would tell you they are pests but somehow they bring pleasure to me. They don’t seem to be fearful and it makes it easy to watch the little ones snuggle into their moms.
The children at the orphanage have just lost one of their room mothers.  She went to the hospital for treatment but they could not help her.  She leaves behind a little 10 year old girl who is now an orphan herself.
We came to comfort and love the children and in return I see their concern for me.  So many little ones studied my cast, softly touched it and told me how sorry they were.  In Kiswahili the word for sorry is “pole, pole.”  It was said many times with such concern in their eyes.

 
We have some very happy children and parents in the villages of Taito & Makoi. Thank you so very much for helping the school doors to open wide!

John 13:34-35 “A new command I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

No comments: