Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Extreme Poverty

 
 

June 4, 2013 (Tuesday) As I returned to the slums I remembered the hours, days, months that I walked here with them.  The pain and suffering that I had seen within this land flashed through my mind. The eyes of longing and pleading for help that looked up into mine never stopped.  I remembered the needs and distress that extreme poverty brings. 
 
Evelyn cares for the babies found in the midst of the garbage piles. She loves the babies that others don’t want because they are diseased or looked on as just another burden  She feeds them and makes sure they are have a place to sleep.  Life for them stared with neglect and they struggle to survive.  Today she prepares to bury one of these little ones.
The door has a lock on it but everything has to be removed from the church and taken to one of the members’ homes for safe keeping.  The chairs are stacked and stored close by.  The pulpit is removed and even the clock on the wall is removed for safe keeping.

As I visit the school children at the slum church I learn of someone cutting through the iron sheets and removing some to the children’s chairs, jump ropes and items to cook with. 
 
 
Mama Rosie, the teacher, has one request….if possible can we get more jump ropes for the children to play with.  She knows how happy they were to have them.  In March two men were caught for stealing and burnt to death not too far from the church.
The children are excited to see me and their happy voices fill the air.  When the teacher picks up the “cane” and tells them to be quiet complete silence takes over.

Usually I walk and visit within the homes of those here in the slum but now I must sit and my visitors come to me.  We gather in the pastor’s office and the word goes out that I have arrived. 
The pastor shares with me how the “clean” water truck that carries water into the slums made so many people sick.  He ended up in the hospital for three days and is still being treated.

Pastor Caleb tells me about his church and how thieves removed the iron sheets of the roof one night while people slept.
  
I met Jackie on my first visit to Kawangware slum in 2005. She was suffering from complications after child birth and God healed her completely.  I have watched her amazing testimony as she walks to please the Lord.  She gave birth to healthy beautiful baby girl last year.  I had the opportunity to hold her in my arms before I left for the states.  Jackie and her husband suffered tragedy when their baby died several months later.  The doctor they went to gave the baby an injection that was meant for an adult.  The baby died.   Today Jackie’s face radiates as soon she will give birth to another child. 
Throughout the day people stopped and shared their experiences of life in the slums with me. Much of what I heard was that of struggles, hardships and grief but their hearts are still full joy.  
It was good to be reunited once again with those that mean so much to me here in the slum land of Nairobi.
Psalm 126:3 The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.

No comments: