Monday, March 18, 2013

Kenya Says No to Violence

 
March 10, 2013 After church this morning Clarisa and I walked to the market.  The days are very hot and humid and it seems like everything is “uphill.” There is a very good reason why Rwanda is called the land of 1000 hills! It was a 30 minute walk straight up a very steep incline. The market has everything in it as street vendors are not allowed in Rwanda.  So everyone gathers at one place to sell their goods. You will find rows of fruits, vegetable, eggs, fresh fish, live chickens, household goods, dried fish, cloth and even a seamstress on duty to sew something for you.  It is a very busy place.  Rwanda’s land is very rich and fertile. It has an excellent climate for gardens. It was also a firsthand learning experience about tribal artifacts and rituals.
 
I told Pastor Leo that if Kenya remained peaceful I would be leaving soon. Violence has been reported in a few places such as Kisii, Kusumu and Kakamega, but for the most part Kenya is peaceful. I told him how I appreciated a safe place to rest and to study during Kenya's election. I said "I don't think you realize this, but you mean a lot to me. I respect you and all that you have accomplished for the Lord."

His response: "I know that. When you were in trouble you came home....you came to me."


March 11, 2013 My bags are packed and it’s time to say goodbye to Pastor Leo and his dear wife.  I’ve always know that Pastor Leo had an amazing testimony but being here this week has been a marked experience in my life. God has really dealt with me and made such an impression within my heart. This man is not the everyday ordinary “Christian.” He is a Paul, a Moses, a mighty man of God. What a privilege and an honor it has been to be able to spend time with him.
Pastor Leo and his wife have 7 biological children and he have raised 8 other children. He has raised 15 children as his own!!

He started a school/orphanage for children on the Congo/Rwanda border after the genocide. He schooled and feed 1000 children.

He has started 80 churches in Rwanda. The church we went to Sunday seats 5000 people. When it started there was only 15 people.

He has started at least 50 churches in Uganda but doesn't know the number - said it could be a 100.

In the 70's he was put in a prison in Uganda by Idi Amin. He was arrested in the midnight hours while he was teaching pastors how to have invisible churches in Uganda. All missionaries at that time had been sent out of Uganda. The chief of the village sold information to the soldiers and they captured him and put him in prison. They also captured the Chief of the Village and threw him in prison too. (Guess that didn't go as planned)

While in prison Pastor Leo prayed loud, without fear, throughout the nights. One night one of the higher up soldiers was there and his praying interfered with his sleep. So the next morning he had pastor brought out of his cell - he was going to shoot him. Pastor Leo was facing the men and he told them they couldn't stop him from praying to his God. He informed them that he had someone greater than them taking care of him. Then they all ran from him. (He doesn't know what they saw but they were afraid and ran away) Soon after that they gave him papers and told him to leave. He said they could not look at his eyes because when they did they saw fire.

He knew he had to leave Uganda if he was to live. He and his wife decided to split up the children and try to cross the border into Kenya at different times. They wanted to make sure the whole family did not die if something went bad. They also wanted to make sure that one parent would live. So he was to try first with a few of the children and a month later Mrs Leo was to try with the rest of the children.
At the border  he told the children to pray one more time. Then he told them to run up to the border and then back to him. He had them do this over and over and then he told them to run across and not to look back but to keep going.

When he saw that they were ok he proceeded to cross the border. The soldiers asked for his ID papers and he knew he could not show them because it said "pastor" on them. At that moment he said confusion came over the soldiers and they started asking questions of other people. He saw his moment and ran toward the border. They never saw him go. His wife came with the others a month later and they were united in Kenya.

Please pray for Pastor Leo as he travels to India on the 18th of March for much needed surgery.

Pastor Leo Rucibigango
2 Corinthians 11:25-27 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.
 
The New Times Rwanda's First Daily
Pastor Leo Rucibigango’s 50 years in ministry, marriage and the journey to fulfill his calling
http://mail.newtimes.co.rw/news/views/article_print.php?&a=10946&week=25&icon=Print

No comments: