Friday, March 16, 2012

Eyes & Teeth


February 27, 2012 Monday

After being in the desert heat it was good to wake to the clear crisp mountain air. As the sun rises over the Cherangani Hills the air quickly warms to the hot temperatures of the African summer. Today is set aside to take care of some health issues. Manley has lost a filling and needs a dentist. The desert wind was strong and it feels like I’ve returned with some of the desert sand in my eye.

We walked down this narrow dusty alley way, little shops were on both sides of the passage way. I recognized the Lulu building as I had been there months ago for blood work that needed be done to make sure I didn’t have malaria. Beyond that was the sign “Eye Clinic.”

As I sat on the little wooden stool at the eye clinic I scanned the room and thought about where I had come from. There is a world of difference between the two places. The doctor examined my eye and prescribed a medication for the infection. The pharmacist’s words encouraged me to be faithful in taking my medication. He sees a lot of infections such as mine because of the wind, the filth, and the flies. If untreated it is the number one cause of blindness here in Kenya.

As we approached the entrance to the dentist office a little street boy saw us. His eyes lit up as he knew that usually I had bread in my back pack. Walking through town I had already given bread out to many and I was hurrying to get things done. When I shook my head and said not today I saw the look of rejection and despair all over his face. I stopped in my tracks, realizing I could not disappoint him, and turned around and went back to him. His eyes twinkled with the gleam of hope that today someone cared enough to stop and feed him.

The dentist allowed my husband to ask as many questions as was needed to make him feel comfortable before he worked in his mouth. He had worked on white people before and he said each one of them had asked him a lot questions first. He also said that white people are concerned about germs! After inspecting the room and having the questions answered Manley felt a bit more relaxed about the process ahead.

Psalm 139:9 & 10

If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

No comments: