Friday, September 19, 2008

Bus Trip to Tanzania

Tuesday evening we boarded the Abamba bus at 9:30 pm. Each one of us went through a security check as we boarded the bus. Watching the zebras and the gazelles feed beside the road helped pass the time.

The bus broke down 4 times so we arrived in Mwanza 3 hours late. We arrived in Mwanza at 3:30 Wednesday afternoon - a very long, dusty, bumpy, ride. I think I could probably ride in the rodeo now. I've learned how to hold on tight!

The bus driver did the paperwork at border of Kenya and walked into Tanzania to obtain our visas. I ran into difficulty here as they would only accept US dollars or Euro's- I had neither. They kept my passport and told me to go outside and try to fix the problem. After much prayer and communication with several people the bus driver's heart softened. The bus driver agreed to pay for my visa and take my luggage in exchange until I paid him back. I was ready to take my luggage off the bus and go back to Kenya and send Hulda to her home in Mwanza. With the Lords help, it all worked out!

On the bus trip there was a man from Germany who lost his wallet, $3,000, his camera and glasses. They had each one of us exit the bus so they could search through the luggage. I was excused from the search. They never found his items. Also someone lost their luggage at the bus station. Someone grabbed it and ran.

We were stopped several times for passport checks. The guards with spike strips in the road stopped us many times to check us over. There is a lot of security. I Arrived safely and payed the bus driver. It was hard to find a bank that would accept my card. I was very tired after the trip, but now I'm rested. I am going to pray for the sick in the hospital today at 4.

This is a day of prayer and fasting for most Christians here. When the native people of Africa fast they don't consume water or food.

If you have a chance please leave some comments on the blog.

I'm very well. Thank you for your prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt Linda! Praying for you alot! I check the blog every morning and am very excited to hear all God is doing thru you in Africa. Be safe. We miss and love you and our prayers are with you.