Saturday, May 18, 2013

Water Damage & Mud

 

  
May 9, 2013 (Thursday) The time has come for me to leave this area and fly back to western Kenya.  The two areas are worlds of their own each one telling of a life separate and distinct.  Before I leave I return to St. Theresa’s to view the damage and speak with the sisters before leaving. 
 
 
Trees have been uprooted and the grounds are covered with thick slippery mud.  Each step I take is placed very carefully so that I can remain on my feet and not be found on the ground. The beautiful bushes and flowers that have had so much care will now have to be replanted once again. 
  
I walk to the beautiful new room that was given to me to rest in while here. 
 
The rising waters have left marks upon the walls and a thick carpet of mud upon the floor.  Each and every room is the same. 
 
It will take hours upon hours of scrubbing to remove the think mud and water stains from the outside and inside of each room. 
 
 
The grounds are still holding large puddles of water and the gardens are in ruin.
 
The flood has left it's mark and it will be remembered and talked about in the years to come. The danger of heavy rains are flash floods and many times lives are lost.


Although there is much to do and the repairs needed are great, we are thankful that this time life was spared.
I’m packed, ready to leave and sitting on a bench in the open air at the little landing strip.  I watch the skies for the plane that only comes once a day.  Sometimes it doesn’t come but today it arrives and it arrives on time.  We will be leaving the hot desert land and a people that live on in the ways of their forefathers.

There is a noticeable change in the climate as I step off the plane and walk into the building to pick up my suitcase.  The clouds above are dark and speak of pending rain.  There is a welcomed refreshing coolness that I have not felt for some time and it energizes by body for the remainder of the trip.
I have two more hours of travel by rode before I can rest for the night.  Driving  here at night is the worst as you never know if someone is riding a bike in front of you or if there is a massive pot hole or if there is a cow in the road!  It could be all three!   I have a driver that I know and feel safe with. As we ride I share the experiences of my trip with him.  I tell him about the flood waters and of stepping into a “sinkhole or swallow hole."   He shares with me how they fear such things because of the soil here.  Then he pauses and says, “God must like you or today we would be saying Linda is dead.”   He knew that is was God that kept me and protected me.

The journey to another land is over.  The land around me now is green and producing good crops. The soil is red and rich and the night is air cool. The cool mountain air of the night is perfect sleeping weather!  So much has changed but the multitude of stars that fill the sky above are the same, they have not changed.  Their brightness shines and speaks to me of a great and mighty God.

Psalm 19:1-4 The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them. Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.


 


No comments: