Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Turkana Tribe


December 3rd

Saturday morning the sun was shining bright and I was delighted to have a nice day. Today I would be taking a small plane and flying into the northwestern part of Kenya to the Turkana land.

The Turkana tribe lives in the northwestern part of Kenya near the Sudan border, in the Rift Valley Province. They are a nomadic pastoralist people and have continued to live the same way as generations before them have lived.

They move from place to place trying to find water and better pasture land for their herds to graze on. The traditional way for a Turkana man to have a wife is to buy her. The payment for a wife will be many cows, goats, camels or sheep. A man can have as many wives as he can afford. They celebrate with a ceremony but are not thought to be married until their first child begins to walk. Their god is called “Akuj.” They believe he is the god of the heaven and the stars. They usually only called out to him in times of great need such as lack of rain. Some will pray to Akuj directly and others will pray through the spirits of those that have died before them. There will be times of animal sacrifices during the seasons of no rain to try to please their god.

According to the way African time runs I expected that the plane would leave late but today I was surprised as we were in the air ten minutes early. Even in the little airport in the middle of a corn patch, outside of Kitale, there is notable evidence of increased security.

Once I stepped through the doorway of the plane I knew that I was leaving the gentle breezes of the day and the cool nights behind me. This being my third time to visit the Turkana tribe I am very much aware of the intense burning rays of the desert sun that waits for me.

The views beneath me change rapidly as we head north. The rich red earth of Kitale and the areas around it turn to green mountains. There is evidence of flooding and vast amounts of earth being washed away. The green forest areas are then taken over by the vast region of dry earth cracked by the heat of the sun. As far as one can see there is nothing but desert soil.

As we start our descent for landing the earth gives way to small villages here and there blending in to the earth tones below. I have arrived to a place and time still living the life of many generations ago yet in a world that is moving forward rapidly.

As I step off the plane I'm greeted by the heat of the day. Pastor Florence is there in the traditional colorful clothing and beaded jewelry is layered up her neck. Other pastors are there as well, Pastor Benjamin, Pastor Simon, Gabriel and friends. They all came to give a welcome to their home, the land of the Turkana.

Revelation 5:9 And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.



No comments: