Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Sun Scorched Land



December 26, 2013 (Thursday) The very first church that we built sits on the hot desert sand in the northwestern part of Kenya.  My bags are packed and soon I will be in the land where the Turkana tribe has lived for generations.  Traveling by road takes about 9 to 12 hours by bus on some of the worst roads in Kenya.  Not only is the condition of the road to be considered but the high temperature, the dust, the age of the bus, the condition of the tires, the bandits and the machine gun fire that takes places between the Pokot Tribe and the Turkana Tribe along the desolate road.  Taking all of these factors in mind it doesn’t take me long to decide to fly.


It’s a small plane and the flight leaves from an airport just two hours away.  Soon I’ll be stepping into a climate that averages 100 degrees every day.  


The mountain ranges below are rugged and covered with the green of the dense forests.  The evidence of life is not seen.  In time the blanket of green fades beneath us and an open and empty land emerges. There is nothing but wide open land as far as one can see.  It is brown, lifeless and cracks beneath the heat of the sun.

We land safely and are welcomed with a rush of hot air as the plane door opens. The hot wind swirls the dry earth around us.  Beyond the very small terminal is a group of people lined up at the fence.  Nine of these people have come to greet me and to see me safely to my room. 

The Chief is among them and has become a friend of mine since my first visit to Turkana land in March of 2010. I was enjoying some cold water when an older man with a walking stick over his shoulder approached me. He was dressed in the traditional way with a red plaid robe and sandals made from old tires. He was selling a dried fruit that grows on trees. He had the bundle of fruit tied to the end of his walking stick, hobo style. Each piece of fruit is the size of an ear of corn. When it is dried it becomes something they use to wash with. I bought a couple to bring home to show people and then asked if I could take his picture. He agreed. From there it went really bad as some nearby men demanded my camera as they felt I had dishonored an elder. I didn't comply and they continued verbally attacking and threatening that it was now a legal issue. They spoke English but it didn't matter what I said they didn't want peace. Even though the men opposed I called the pastors I had met with earlier and told them I was in trouble and needed them. Within five minutes four pastors showed up on the scene and sat with us. You could feel the whole atmosphere change and peace settled in over the situation. The lions wanted to devour me but the angels shut their mouths. Psalm 124   The Chief heard of this incident and the next day he came and apologized for their behavior.  He then walked with me the rest of the day. He wanted everyone to see that I was his guest and his friend.  He informed me that no one would bother me as he was the government here.  So through this troubled time in 2010 I gained a wonderful friend.

December 28, 2013 (Friday) The fan that hangs from the ceiling was on as high as it would go last night.  The air starts to cool around four in the morning but shortly after that the sun rises as hot if not hotter than the day before.  The cold water warmed by the sun makes a refreshing shower and brings some life back to the tired body.  From my window I watch the monkeys play in the trees.  Beautiful shade trees are hard to find in this area and even the monkeys know that they have found an oasis in the midst of the desert land.


I was here earlier this year, in May, and woke up to a flash flood.  We had severe thunderstorms during the night and it had also rained in the mountains.  The water from these storms had rolled down the mountain ranges toward us. The police came in trucks to remove us from the area as the river had completely surrounded us.    


The water had started to enter my room and was continuing to get deeper. As I walked toward the main gate I stepped into a sink hole.  It took two strong men to pull me out as I was helpless with the water rushing around me.


The water filled each room; it took down trees, and left a coating of slippery mud every place.  The Sisters told me that every room had to be repainted and there were so many snakes and spiders around the compound during that time.  They were even seen in the rooms. They have worked hard and now the place is shines. 

We are preparing to travel further into the interior parts of Turkana land tomorrow. So we are checking on prices for maize, beans, salt, cooking fat and also transportation.  Prices continue to rise here as everything is brought in by bus or truck.  It’s a hard life and so many are suffering here in Turkana land.

The Turkana are known for making beautiful baskets.  The women will make baskets as a way to earn money for food for their family. It is a beautiful art that has been passed down from woman to woman throughout many generations. 


Ecclesiastes 1:5 The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.

No comments: