Monday, December 30, 2013

A Blazing Ball of Fire



December 5, 2013 (Thursday)  The clock was ticking and the time to return to Kenya was fast approaching. Bags were packed, weighed, repacked and weighed again.  Goodbyes are not easy and the family knows all too well the miss that is ahead.


Before leaving on my last trip my oldest granddaughter was singing “Joy, joy, joy, down in my heart” while tears of parting rolled down the cheeks of others.  This year however she understands that “Grammie Nana” is going to help other little boys and girls in Africa.  Her heart is big and she packs a bag of some of her favorite toys and puts them in my suitcase.  Even still I hear the words, “I don’t want you to go. I’m going to miss you.”  Time is something that is hard to understand when your preschool age so she watches for the leaves to appear on the trees knowing that then Grammie Nana is soon to return. 

Traveling often has its delays and challenges and on this trip there were many. When we arrived in Boston we were immediately informed that the flight would be delayed as the plane needed repair.  This delay meant I would miss my connecting flight in London.  They were quick to find me another airline to use out of London but it meant having an eight hour layover.  After the long wait my gate was finally open and everyone was loading. It looked like we were finally on our way.  Everyone was seated and ready to leave when once again we were delayed.  Someone on the flight was ill and had left the plane but we could not leave until they found and removed his luggage. We sat in the plane for two hours waiting to take off. 


December 7, 2013 (Saturday) Usually when I arrive in Nairobi it is very late at night but the delays I encountered put me on a different schedule.  This trip I was flying over Kenya as the sun came up. The blazing ball of fire showed its strength even in the wee hours of the morning. It was a sure sign that I had finally arrived.

Once in Nairobi we were taken by bus to the newly constructed building that they have been working on since the fire at the airport.  Usually the process of obtaining a visa and going through customs doesn’t take too long but this time was the exception.  Even though my ride had been made aware of my first delay he was not aware of the others. The flight changes and the delays meant I was in Nairobi much later than planned. I was unsure as to whether my contact person would still be waiting for me once I walked outside of the airport.

With visa in hand and after answering a few questions at customs I was released to leave the airport and enter a land that I love. Once outside the warm Kenyan air welcomed me and my eyes scanned the many faces waiting for people to arrive.  There was one familiar face....my driver!  He had waited such a long time for me.  My body was tired but I had excitement within as I knew God had great things ahead.

Genesis 31:47  ...The Lord watch between me and thee while we are absent one from the other.



No comments: