Sunday, April 7, 2013

Standing In Garbage


April 5, 2013 (Friday) The night was full of rolling thunder and heavy rains but the early morning opened with the song birds singing a new song.  The mountain range before us is clear and the rising sun soon removes the pellets of rain left on the green grass.  
It was early and I made a quick trip to town to buy the necessary items to make sandwiches for the street people today. On my way out of the store I noticed that many street children had gathered off to the side. Knowing that my schedule was tight I tried to continue on without being noticed. I motioned to the first motorbike I saw and two or three of the younger ones spotted me.  I thought that I could bless each of them with a slice of bread without the other twenty five or so seeing what was going on.  I was wrong and was soon surrounded by street people of all ages and some of the older mamas were getting very demanding.  I put bread in the hands of as many little ones as possible while telling my driver to “go.”  When the crowd starts to take over you know it’s time to leave.

As I waited at the corner for Pastor David a couple of the street boys came running up to me.  Their eyes immediately peered into the big bag of sandwiches and I knew they were hungry.  I stalled hoping that the pastor would come soon.  I knew that if I pulled one sandwich out of the bag others would see from a far and come running.  The sandwiches needed to be saved for the meeting we had planned. We walked to the cart with banana's for sale so that they would have something to eat. Within seconds other street boys started running our way.  There are so many little hungry faces.
 
Pastor David led us to the dust bin/garbage dump. There are many dumps around the area but this one is considered the headquarters for the street people. Pastor David has worked with them for a few years and is known by them for his kind heart.  It didn't take long for them to gather around us.  The first thing that hit me was the rank smells coming from the piles of garbage they eat from.  There were women sleeping on the ground with their little tiny babies and the flies were swarming around them.  I was being careful where I stepped when I noticed all the bare feet and the broken glass they are walking in.  Their feet were swollen, cracked,  cut and bleeding.  A little toddler's hand was cut and no one seems to care.   
We walked into some conflict. We heard loud voices and crying.  A teenage boy was ready for revenge and had a big rock in his hand.  The voices increased in volume as Pastor David pulled the boy out of the crowd and tried to calm him.
I stood in the middle of the garbage dump and started to speak. I was completely surrounded by the street people of all ages. Some wore the scars of a trouble life on the outside but all of them had the scars of a troubled life on the inside.  Some carried the smell of alcohol while others held a glue bottle in their hand. Their eyes remained focused on me. They were very attentive and seemed to be grasping what I was saying.   In the midst of the garbage and flies thirteen raised their hand and asked Jesus into their heart.
We had made about 100 sandwiches to give out today.  We had the children go to one area and line up and the adults to the other side. That way we would make sure that the very young didn’t go without.  The adult line was orderly for a while but then it turned into pushing and shoving so we held back the sandwiches until order was restored.
It took longer to make the sandwiches than it did to pass them out!  They disappeared really fast and I think we could have given out more.  Most here are uneducated and lack the necessary social skills to mingle with the public. So I was surprised and blessed to have three of the older guys come to me before I left and say “thank you.”
I've been told that I don't need to worry about walking around on the streets here.  They won’t let anyone hurt me. They will defend me as I have spent time with them on their turf and have shown them love. 

A home not too far from the lodge was robbed today by several guys.  One of the guys was caught and an angry mob of about 100 people gathered and beat him over and over again.   Many times mob justice takes over and after the beating the robber they will set him on fire.

Proverbs 14:31 Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

No comments: