Tuesday, February 7, 2012

IDP Camp Canaan

January 24, 2012 Tuesday

Kenya’s post election violence left countless dead. Many wear the scars of being burnt or having a limb cut off. There are so many orphans and widows because of this explosion of violence. Homes were burnt and thousands were pushed out of a land they called home with nowhere to go. IDP camps were set up in various parts to house those that were left stranded.

On the other side of the Turkwel River there is an IDP camp (Internally Displaced People) that I want to visit before leaving this area.

The IDP camp is called “Canaan” and has about 746 traditional homes made out of the desert palm branches. It is a beautiful area with a view of the Lodwar Mountains in the distance. It is a ways outside of Lodwar off from the road that eventually takes you to Kitale. The slightly rolling terrain is open to the vast blue sky and the mid day sun burns into the earth.

It is unwise to go into a new area without a native beside me. I also need to share my plans with the Chief and receive his approval before going. The Chief will then notify the head ones within the camp of my arrival and make sure that someone is there to welcome me. There are times that the Chief himself will travel with me but this time it is not possible. There is always some preparation beforehand that must be done in order to stay safe and to have things run in an orderly manner.

The chief gave me the ok with flying colors. I am welcomed and he is happy that I am here once again. He gave me three stars; 1. I am a woman of God 2. I am concerned about the people 3. I am willing to help. So we have approval to enter the camp and the proper people have been notified.

We travel a short ways out of Lodwar and enter into the IDP camp. It is very dry and dusty the temperature is now 99 degrees. The land is beautiful but hot! The Lodwar Diocese has taken on a project of planting some trees here in the IDP camp. They have hired a few men to make sure they are watered every day. These trees will bring much relief to those inside the camp from the hot desert sun.

Up on a knoll I see people entering their church building. They are tall and slender wearing colorful wraps. Many women have their babies tied to their back. Little ones with bare feet run across the hot sand into the shade of the church. Many are already seated on the inside. Grain sacks half full of sand become the replacement for wooden benches and chairs. The women gather on one side of the church and the men sit together on the other. The children sit together on the ground near the front. All eyes are focused on me.

The handmade drum beats and music fills the area. Pastor Joshua welcomes me to Canaan and I stand to speak. As I watch their expressions I can see that they are following me and appear to be very interested. Their hearts are open and they want to hear more.

At the end one young man comes forward to accept Jesus into his heart and many more need prayer for physical needs. It is always a day of rejoicing when you know that hearts have been touched and changed.

There are many physical needs here and we cannot walk away without trying to help in some manner. It would be impossible for us to care for them all so our focus today is primarily the needs of the children. We have brought medicine to de worm the little ones so that the food they eat will bring nourishment to their bodies. We also have medicine for those that might be suffering with malaria and ringworm.

Lines are formed; those under two to the left and those over two to the right. For a while there is order and then they start to fear that there might not be enough and they will be left out. They start to push their way closer and closer to me.

Little hands, big hands, hands of all sizes reach toward me. They so want to be helped. How long will it be before they get another chance? They don’t have a clinic and without a job they don’t have any income.

Does your heart hurt? All this little boy wants is medicine to rid himself of worms.

The word goes out that everyone must sit down before we will continue on. The medicine finds its way into the hands of many and then it is gone. The faces of the mama’s were once happy, now they show anger and vile words erupt. The tone of words spoken and facial expressions speaks a language that I understand.

I prepare to leave and as I walk away I notice a little boy curled up and resting on the hot sand. His eyes show the ache of pain. I reach out and touch his forehead. It is burning with fever.

The needs are like a blazing fire and today we have only extinguished a spark.

I John 3:17-18 “If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

No comments: