Monday, January 9, 2012

Hungry & Desperate


December 29th Thursday

I woke to the happy singing of song birds as the sunrises over the mountain range in front of the lodge. It is a beautiful day and the sky is blue. It doesn’t take long for the sun’s rays to burn into the ground. As I walk toward town I open up my umbrella, not because of rain, but because the need for some shade was great. Soon I am approached by a motorcycle driver to see if I would like a ride. He brought a smile to my face. It had to be close to 90 degrees and he was wearing a big puffy winter jacket and it was zipped right up to the neck. Then he had a red scarf tied tightly around his neck and a knit hat on his head!

Joni, a missionary friend of mine, and I plan to go to the hospital today to be tested for TB. It is a test of precaution only. We have both been around people that have been diagnosed with TB. It is something that we frequently run into because of the slums and low income places that we visit.

December 30th Friday

The vast blue sky of Africa is beautiful and with the summer season upon us it gets hot very fast. We return to the hospital for the second part of the TB test and then move on to other things.

We visit with a family that is caring for a little boy named “Peter.” Peter is Turkana and has a home in Turkana land up near the Sudan border. He wasn’t cared for and has slept many nights with hunger pains. He was desperate for help. So he tied himself underneath a bus and traveled that way for over 9 hours. The condition of the roads in this area is beyond description. It is a challenge for the best of the drivers. It is also a test of endurance for the passengers. This little boy was praying for a better life and some food! He took a chance that many youngsters are willing to take. He arrived in Kitale and after a few days and nights on the streets my friend, Joni, met him.

Some time has passed since then and he has been placed in a good home and he preparing to go to school. All necessary legal papers have been finished so that he has a home in the western parts of Kenya with a Pastor and his family.

Peter still needs a few more things before he will be ready for the first day of school. Sneakers and a back pack are a must for a boy his age. The back pack is empty but it doesn’t stop him from walking around the house with it on. What a happy guy he is!

December 31st Saturday

I’m up early and prepared to speak to the women in the village of Zaire. They have set time a side for a conference just for themselves. I have never spoken in this area and agree to meet another pastor at 8 am in town and from there we will ride together. Being an American who is used to schedules and most of the time being on time, I arrived at 8 am. I know that Africans have a hard time being punctual so I waited patiently for some time. It was now 8:35 and I had not seen her or heard from her. I sent a quick text to let her know I was thinking about returning to the lodge. Within minutes my phone rang. She was still in bed and asked for 45 more minutes. The day begins with a challenge and a prayer to keep my heart flowing with love.

We drove through the slum area known as Mitisi and Twani and continued toward Mt. Elgon. The dust from the dry roads rolls into the car. We cover our heads with cloth and wrap it over our nose and mouth as a protection from the dusty air.

We drive off the road and through an open field. Mud huts are scattered here and there along the way. Children start to get excited as we pass them. A cow grazing in the field lifts his head and looks my way and then he jumps. I think I scared him!

The church sits in an open field surrounded by farm land. After being greeted we are invited inside the pastor’s home. We sit around a small coffee table for bread and tea while we getting to know one another a little better. The pastor has a question for me and the room is quiet, “Linda, what are your plans while here in Kenya?” My response came without thought, “To obey God.” It brought big smiles to their faces and laughter filled the room.

The conference was attended by about 50 women and several men came as well. They wanted to hear what the woman had to say. There was a time of openness and many questions were asked. Some women came with broken hearts, others with broken homes, and others longing for answers that others refuse to give. It amazes me that life goes on at a rapid rate and so many are left behind.

After speaking many came forward for a time of prayer.

The conference went late into the night but I knew that I could not stay that long. So after a full day and a meal of beans and rice I said good bye and headed back to the lodge. The New Year was not far away!

Ephesians 4:2-3

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

No comments: