Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Monkey On My Skirt

December 8th, It has been a good week and it isn’t over. There is still more to come! As a child I dreamed of one day having my very own monkey. I was and still am an animal lover.

As I was leaving the dining area this week I noticed one of the baby monkeys close by. I thought this would be a great opportunity for a photo. I set my camera case down and got my camera ready.

As I was waiting for just the right shot the monkey continued to come closer. Closer was not really the best way to described what happened next. He went from the ground to the table and then over to my camera case. He didn’t care that I didn’t look like his mom and proceed to jump on me and hang off my skirt. I had the camera in my hand so I proceeded to take a few pictures.

Then I saw his teeth as they went into my skirt in order to give him more leverage. Teeth in my skirt are o.k. but would he know to stop when he hit flesh! I thought it would be best to get him off me at this point. I tried to shake him off my skirt but he held on tighter. I think he thought I was playing with him and it appeared that he was enjoying himself. He would hit the ground now and then but jump right back on my skirt! I think I would still be shaking him off my skirt if someone hadn’t come to my rescue. This little guy didn’t give up though he tried again a day or two later to swing off my skirt and he succeeded!

Ninety percent of the people here in Turkana are illiterate. Even if some are given an opportunity for schooling they might turn it down. They believe their wealth is in their herds. If a man has many goats, sheep, cattle or camels he thinks books and schooling is a waste of time.

Today we will go behind Napetet village near the river to the area of government land. It has become the slum area of the Turkana. Throughout the years many Turkana have left this land looking for a better life and settled in other areas. At the time of the post election violence they were pushed from their homes. They came from I D P cames and returned to their ancestors land here in Turkana. They had nothing with them and were given this land to use. You will not find clean water here or toilets. It has become a place of discouragement, disease, misery, and a life without hope for many.

We visited with the sick and then had the children that were close by gather under the tree so that I could talk with them. I shared the gospel story with them and used the salvation bracelet made with five colored beads as a visual. Others around us quietly listened as well. At the end twelve of these children wanted to ask Jesus into their heart. Each child was given a bracelet so that they would always remember what Jesus had done for them. (Thank you Calvin Gray and all of those that helped make salvation bracelets to be used here in Africa. They are a tremendous help in sharing the word of God.)

We continued to visit those here in the slums. Elizabeth was weak with malaria and resting on her mat. She had been ill for a few days and needed to have care. We used the motorcycle to take her to the clinic as she could not walk any distance. Elizabeth was treated for malaria and a lung infection.

The day has been full and it is time to say our goodbyes as I leave tomorrow. There is much to be thankful for and much to pray about. I’ve kept very busy this week and accomplished a lot but there was still one pastor that I hadn’t seen. I made a quick call and he was on his way to meet me.

December 9th, I finished packing early and had more time to spend with Pastor Isaac and his wife before my flight. We visited for a while outside his wife’s business in town. Someone passing by recognized me and called another pastor to tell him where I was. Even though this pastor had said goodbye to me yesterday I knew that his joining us was God’s timing. The two pastors got to meet each other and the younger pastor was introduced to a Bible school program held her in Lodwar. He agreed that he would attend and a new friendship between the two pastors has been started. The Lord knows our heart and He knows exactly what we need.

Pastor Isaac and his wife are in the process of obtaining a partially built building. It will soon be used for all of their church services.

Many times I have been approached with, remember me? You gave me a Bible last time you were here. They are still thankful for the gift. When I arrived at St Theresa’s Guest House one of the cleaning girls thought she recognized me. She went to the register and checked for my name, and then she came and thanked me over and over again for her Bible. In town a man stopped me and said he was my taxi driver last time I was here. He didn’t have a Bible and I gave him one. He is still very thankful. You have helped get the word of God into many hands and hearts. Thank you

I had a good flight and returned to Kitale safely. I thank you for your continued prayers for my health, safety and God's leading.

Nairobi Star Oct 28,2011 Seventeen foreigners are being held by police in Turkana on suspicion of being link to al Shabaab. Most of the suspects were taken out of buses some hid in luggage cabins of the buses.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201110310114.html








                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
John 11:25-26
"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live,
even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.
Do you believe this?"


No comments: