Sunday, April 4, 2010

Invited to Dinner

Sunday the 28th of March. We are headed back into the interior again today. In the back of our four wheel drive vehicle we have sacks of maize, beans and packets of cooking fat. We travel toward the Lapur Mountain Range it is on the Uganda & Kenya boarder. Traveling has its challenges as we have had showers this week. Branches are cut in one area and laid down for traction. The mud of the earth pulls strongly at my sneaker and I literally walk out of it leaving it behind. It is carefully recovered and given back to me. Pastor Simon is traveling with us but on the motorcycle. It is a way for us to get back to Lodwar should we run into problems with our vehicle.

Upon entering the church the ladies wrap me in a "shuka" a beautiful piece of cloth. They then adorn my neck with beads. The older mama's pull me into their dance as I'm expected to jump with them. I did my best but they are better! It put joy in their hearts and a smile on their face to have me worship the Turkana way.

The church is full with people standing in the back. Women sit together on one side and men on the other. Babies are always kept close to mom and today I had the honor of dedicating one to the Lord.

Little Mary, a beautiful Turkana baby, was placed in my arms as her parents stood in front of me. One day I believe this little one will be able to read the Bible that she was presented with. The Lord has good plans for each one of us.

After the service we unpack the sacks of maize, beans, and cooking fat. A line is formed and each mama brings her bowl, sack, or she uses the extra cloth of her wrap to hold per portion of the food given out today.

I am then taken for a walk away from the church toward an area of white smoke. To my surprise I have been invited to dinner. Today dinner is "goat". Branches have been collected and a fire has been started. I am told where to sit. As a married woman I am to sit on the ground while the men sit on their little stools. The whole goat with its head, fur, and innards is placed on the open fire. Parts of the inside that are still raw are taken out and given to "only" the men. It smells terrible but the men are enjoying it as they bite off pieces with their teeth. It sounds very crunchy and it is somewhat green in color. I am very happy to be a woman J The time comes when the goat is cut up into sections. It is now time to slice off some of the meat and pass it to all off the guests. The Turkana men wear a circular knife around their wrist. It is used for battle and for preparing food. Today the knife that often looks like decoration around their wrist is used in the traditional way. The charred outer covering is scraped off the goat and meat is then passed around. Many portions still uncooked are enjoyed thoroughly by those sitting around the fire. Nothing is left behind. Every part of the goat is eaten.

On our way back to the church we see another group of men settling under the acacia tree. Turkana men always eat together. The women will serve them but they do not sit and eat with them. Women will gather together in another area around their huts and share their food. We find a place of shade near the wall of the church and sit a while to rest. Soon a Turkana woman brings us tea and a hot chapati.

It is time to leave and many gather around to say goodbye. An invitation from the elders of the village at Kabil-Asonyak has been given to me to come back again. Only next time I should stay and sleep here with them – under the stars of the African sky.

I want to thank my home church, Milton Assembly of God, for making it possible to place so many Bibles into the hands of the Turkana Tribe. I believe that many lives are going to benefit and be changed because you were willing to give to people that you have never seen.

Psalm 40: 5 Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.

No comments: