Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"She Is Back!"


January 13th 2010

The rush of packing and weighing suitcases came to an end mid day Wednesday the 13th of January 2010. It was then a time of special hugs, those that are held within your heart for days on end. The long embraces, eyes holding tears of love, kisses, prayers and with the final shut of the door a journey half way around the world begins.

Over twenty fours later the blazing red hot African sun sets beneath the wings of the plane. How it warms the heart as it colors fill the vast sky line. How beautiful it is to behold. Soon darkness over takes the land only to be broken by lines and lines of bush fires below. The lack of rain has brought death and destruction to many.

With suitcases collected and customs behind I am on my way. Once outside the airport I quickly scan the crowded area. I am happy to see that my taxi has not been forgotten me! Here in the midst of many is one man holding a sign that says "Linda Gove". It is close to midnight when we arrive at the Hampton House. It has been a safe journey. With a thankful heart and a tired body I open the door to my place of rest. J

January 15th – Friday

My window curtains are watched as many wait for my rising. With greetings and hugs from a few the word quickly spreads throughout the grounds that "Linda" is here. A rainy summer and winter months have made me "whiter". They also detect I have a few extra pounds on me! I am checked over, hugged, released and hugged again. The happy chatter, warm smiles and laughter light up my day.

While being welcomed here by so many friends, the Nairobi streets take to rioting over the deportation of an Abullah al-Faisal www.nation.co.ke/protest

January 16th- Saturday

As I walk into Kawangware slums I am reminded oh so quickly of the despair and emptiness that latches on to so many. The smells, the ground soft with human fluids, the garbage that decorates the land have become a normal for each new morning here. Our eyes choose each step we take. We roam the earth looking for mounds of dry earth to step on. The paths are so familiar. Time has not changed one of them. Wild dogs sleep in the midst of the paths. The hot sun beats down on them pouring heat into their skeleton form. A cat moving along the path is quickly kicked out of the way by a troubled man. The needs are many here.

I'm taken to the church but the door is shut. I'm not permitted inside as the women are still cleaning. I can taste the dust as I hear the straw like hand brooms go back and forth. The door swings open and shut as buckets of water are carried inside. When they are satisfied I am permitted to enter. They have worked so hard to purchase tiles to complete their floor. I am amazed at the hard work and sacrifice that is so evident. The church floor is almost completely covered with handmade cement tiles.

The open air crusade is held close to the church is the slums. A banner flows in the wind above the small wooden stage. A generator is a must for the keyboard and microphones. Curiosity takes over as the white woman starts to speak. People gather here and there. The sides of the dusty street are lined with people. A rumble starts with a few men as a bar is close by. Happy children gather around me. So many of them I have taught. They dance and using old tin cans they keep beat with the music. What joy fills their hearts. It is a happy day "she is back".

The night air sets in oh so quickly but the day does not leave us defeated. One man raises his hand and steps forward to ask Jesus into his heart. He walks alone, he walks with a tender heart. Soon five others follow. They approach the stage with heads bowed. With the microphone at their mouth they ask the Lord to forgive them and to come into their heart. Their prayer filled the quietness as all listened.

The night is taking over and we step up our pace as we walk out of Kawangware. It does not take long for one to realize that the night here is full of evil. It is felt like a heavy blanket. It is seen in the eyes of those you walk by.

January 17th Sunday

The benches sit out in the open sun as children quickly gather for a time together. I see so many smiles today J My name has not been forgotten! They have continued learning even while I was away. One by one they stand and recite scripture verses that they have memorized. They each share a song. They have grown inside and out! As I pull out a Bible Story book with "colored pictures" the excitement grows. No one moves as the pages are turned. A few giggles here and there express the joy they have in their hearts. They jump with joy as a picture to color is pulled from by back pack. The wooden benches now become a desk as they color while kneeling on the ground.

The church fills as the morning service starts. Three of those that accepted the Lord at the crusade join usJ Singing and dancing fills the metal sided building. Whistles join in with the keyboard to express their happiness. After the morning service gifts from America are given out. Children gather together as slippers made by my mom, Charlotte Towne, are given to each one. It is amazing to see God work even in the smallest detail. I had "exactly" the right number of slippers with me. The colorful slippers quickly found their way to many little feet. They will never forget the gift, the love, or my Mom! They love her and pray for her. Thank you Mom for all of your hard work J

Ties collected by Milton Assembly of God were also given out to the men. Each man will have a tie to wear to church. It is something many men desire but cannot afford. Many of the ties were quickly put on even without the button up shirt and collar. Thank you Milton Assembly of God for your caring hearts.

One lady with children accepted the Lord Jesus into her heart today. She then asked me to pray for a husband as she has children but no husband. I talked with her for a while and explained to her the importance of not rushing but to wait for the "right" man to marry. She is quiet, she is listening and then she says "Never mind the husband then, pray for a job for me!"

It is a day of celebration and lunch is cooked for me by the ladies of the church. I am served rice, chicken, and ugali. What an honor to be given such a welcome.

The afternoon is used to set up for the crusade. Nothing is left out from the service before as it develops legs and walks away J So each service of the crusade the men once again put the stage together and carry equipment and chairs to the location. The worship team starts in song. Women with alcohol flowing within dance to the music. A man sits and cries on the ground as he speaks of not seeing his children for 7 years. Many people here are caught, trapped without any hope. There are difficulties with the sound system and time slips by quickly. I don't want darkness to surround me so new plans are made. The pastor walks me out and returns to speak to the people in the night. There will be many.

Jan 18th – Monday

My mind is being stretched as Swahili lessons started this morning. Two hours every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning I am tutored by a native Kenyan teacher named Helen. We did a review today to see what I had retained from the past lessons. I was so surprised and happy to see that once I pulled up that file from the back of my brain, Swahili started to flow again!

1 comment:

Katie Burke said...

Thank you so much for your work in this area! I served in Kawangware during the summer of 2009, and it was the most transformative experience of my life.